Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Stationary Heel Pain

Posted by Tim H on 9/30/03 at 18:44 (131785)

My heels are frequently sore whenever I stand for a bit. I don't feel the pain when running or walking. Is this PF or something else?

Re: Stationary Heel Pain

Carole C in NOLA on 9/30/03 at 19:43 (131791)

It could very well be PF, since many PF patients find it's more difficult to stand than to walk. I am not a foot professional. I recommend seeing a doctor to get this diagnosed.

Then come back here for information. Read the heal pain book for free on this website, and read these message boards to learn more about PF and how to get rid of it. I hope this helps.

Carole C

Re: Stationary Heel Pain - oops!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/01/03 at 06:56 (131823)

I meant the heel pain book, not the heal pain book! LOL

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 10/01/03 at 13:57 (131842)

Tim, the HUGEST amount of pain I experience comes on from the following:
1) Hard floor (like Safeway/DMV/Home Depot)
2) Standing, no movement in line, staying in same space

I try to shake around my toes & feet, sometimes this helps, other times it has brought on a nice foot or leg cramp. If I can keep moving, it really really helps me to stand longer.

I was able to stand in a line for 50 minutes during the concert I went to since the line MOVED occassionaly, like every 5 minutes. If that line would not have moved, I would have been TOAST. Also, I was able to stand on grass a lot, which helped immensely.

I have PF & also something called mortens neuroma (dx'd by a podatrist). Good luck, hope this helps. I am not a doctor, just a fellow sufferer sharing my experience. ;)

Tim H on 10/01/03 at 15:59 (131862)

Thanks to both contributors for your input. At this point the pain is very mild. I noticed it more after an unrelated running injury caused me to 'listen' to my little aches and pains a little more closely. During this time, I started also researching PF because my sister told me PF can be a career-ending injury for runners. (Her husband, also a runner, is struggling with it.) Mainly I just want to prevent it from progressing as I never intend to stop running.

Mahatmelissama on 10/01/03 at 17:09 (131871)

My unsolicted advice is: better give it a rest and let things heal. You run the risk of it becoming worse & getting very jacked up. My roomate is very very active (roller-blading, running etc) and she is starting to get PF...she is seeing a podatrist soon. She refuses to stop & is paying for it....it hurts to watch. At least she is seeing a pod...hope you are too.
Best to you.

john king on 10/02/03 at 10:24 (131940)

I can walk for a mile but I can't stand for 15 minutes without pain. I have bad pain a few hours after walking but not while I am walking if I walk early in the morning before my feet start to get irritated.

john king

Carole C in NOLA on 10/02/03 at 11:12 (131946)

More unsolicited advice:

I gather from your post that your pain is barely noticeable and you are trying to prevent it from getting worse. That is a very smart attitude.

If the above is correct and you do continue to run, be sure not to forget your warm up stretches beforehand. And if your pain gets worse, cut back on the activity and rest.

Carole C