Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

symptoms of tts?

Posted by samuel adam on 10/02/03 at 17:30 (131983)

i would like to know what the symptoms of tts are? is numbness and tingling always involved or can pain be the only symptom? can the tts become worse if one walks fo rlong distances or stay at the same level?

Re: symptoms of tts?

Sharon W on 10/02/03 at 17:36 (131985)

Samuel,

I'm not a doctor but here is a list of symptoms for TTS put together by Wendyn, our resident TTS guru:

- Painful/tingling in and around ankles sometimes the toes

- Swelling of the feet

- Painful burning, tingling, or numb sensations in the lower legs

- The pain worsens and spreads after standing for long periods

- Pain is worse with activity and is relieved by rest

- Weakness

- Electric shock sensations

- Pain radiating up into the leg, and down into the arch, heel, and toes

- Pain can occur and persist at rest

- Typically the heels are spared (conflicting information on this)

- Hot/cold sensations in the feet

- Feeling as though the feet don't have enough padding

- Pain while driving

- Throbbing

- Pain along the Posterior Tibial nerve path

- Burning sensation on the bottom of foot, radiating up

- Parasthesia (pins and needles)

- Dysaesthesia (abnormal pain)

- Hyperaesthesia (increased sensation)

- Tinel's sign

If you are interested in reading the rest of Wendyn's FAQ, please go to the TTS and click on the link at the top of the Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome message board.

You can also ask questions there or compare notes with other patients who have this condition.

Hope this helps.

Sharon

samuel adam on 10/02/03 at 17:58 (131995)

thnk you sharon

Donna H. on 10/02/03 at 19:34 (132004)

I was recently diagnosed with carpal tunnel and at the same time started having terrible pain in my feet when I get up in the morning, if I have been sitting for a while and go to get up the pain is unbearable and seems to run down the sides of my big toes to my arch. I can hardly touch them for the pain.Could this be tarpal tunnel. Is surgery the answer?

BrianG on 10/02/03 at 22:47 (132025)

Hi Donna,

Surgery should always be the last thing you want to try, it's a very dangerous treatment. You should probably see a Orthopedic doctor, or a Podiatrist. It's very hard for anyone to diagnose over the Net. If you already saw one doctor, and you don't like what he had to say, get a 2nd opinion.

Good luck
BrianG, not a doc

lara on 10/03/03 at 08:12 (132042)

Sam - Sharon has posted a very good list created by Wendyn. PLease remember though that no two cases are the same. While some of my symptoms are included in Wendyn's list, I'm not sure I would have recognized what I had as jelling with Wendyn's list when I started. I know at least a couple of doctors failed to recognize my symptoms as nerve-based, atlhough once I got the diagnosis and NCV postive test, in retrospect it was obvious to at least one of the doctors - my GP (the other one probably still believes its in my head - I'm not sure, I didn't go back).

This isn't meant at all to criticize Wendyn's list. It is very exhaustive. It is just meant as cautionary note, that every one is individual and this syndrome just hasn't been recognized long enough for clear & definitive understanding. Also, everyone describes their pain somewhat differently, so sometimes there is a bit of 'translating' involved, even if we are all speaking English.

In answer to your question, I never had any numbness or tingling - I did have a severe burning sensation on my feet (avoid my toes & heels and not radiating anywhere else) - which I would describe more as discomfort than pain, but sufficiently uncomfortable to have me crawl on my knees around the house at the most severe. I also had a sharp pain which could not be pinpointed as to where it originated on the top of my feet when I would first start walking, on occassion. THis was at the beginning of my problems, when I swore I would not give up my activities and was in total denial. I haven't heard many others talk about this kind of pain, and if I wasn't so stubborn, it probably never would have developed in me either. Also, depending on how you describe it, my feet may or may not have gotten worse with activity. Actually, I felt o.k. when walking except at its most severe - but felt miserable when I stopped. Before I recognized what was going on I would continue walking cuz it relieved the discomfort - only to feel much worse when I finally stopped. I felt fine when driving - but lousy when I stopped driving - a very subtle change that I've only recently recognized.

Good luck on you quest for diagnosis & treatment.

Donna H. on 10/03/03 at 21:08 (132121)

Thanx BrianG for the info. I have not yet seen a podiatrist but will be sure to get one after I get my carpal tunnel taken care of. I prefer to take one thing at a time because I work and can't get the time off for
all the appts. If you know what I mean. What do you think about surgery for carpal tunnel? I get an emg for that next week. My hands are numb pretty much of the time. Worse at night. At this point I would do almost anything to relieve this.

samuel adam on 10/04/03 at 18:07 (132212)

Lara,

I too have relief of pain when walking to an extent then when I stop, it becomes much worse. Does the pain keep you up at night? Did anything help you relieve it?

thnks

john king on 10/04/03 at 20:48 (132230)

I can tell you surgery for CTS is pretty common where I used to work the Postal Sevice. Many people had the surgery but had recurrence of the symptoms because they did the same type of work after surgery. Success rate of CTS surgery is much higher than TTS. Think about it ....you don't stand on your hands. People have the CTS surgery and they wear a sling and just rest the wrist and hand. I have seen the surgical scars for people who have had the TTS surgery....yuck!

john k

Donna H. on 10/05/03 at 11:32 (132302)

Thanx John K for answering. I will avoid the tts surgery unless the pain gets worse. I just bought a pair of foamy insoles and they seem to help the pain some. OK till I get to the foot Dr.I also bought looser sneakers and that is helping. The pain is mostly in my arches and big toes.Is this common? -- and a little in my soles.