Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT 8 months post surgery

Posted by lauren on 10/03/03 at 12:55 (132071)

I had ESWT done 2 weeks ago. I had a PF release and heal spur removal surgey done in january. I was left in worse pain post surgery due to scar tissue. According to the ultra sound done by the ESWT tech. My plantar fascia was extremely inflamed and thick. I was told by my doctor and by the ESWT tech that the procedure would break up scar tissue and give me some pain relief. It's been two weeks so far and I'm awfully bruised and sore. I'm not pain free at all. I contacted ESWt and my doc and they said give it time. They suggested heat to the area instead of ice. Any suggestions? Any evidence of ESWT breaking up scar tissue? I am considering seeing a plastic surgeon for the keloid scar left on my foot post surgery as well. I know I need to be patient, but the procedure was quite expensive and I was hoping for some relief by now.

Re: ESWT 8 months post surgery

Dr Z on 10/03/03 at 18:07 (132100)

Hi

Some patients will get immediate relief . Some will get gradual pain relief. Some will get no relief until 12 to 16 weeks. Taping is helping during the healing phase. Heat is good. Ice for severe throbbing pain. May have to place into a boot cast. An unna boot is very good. Sorry but time is the key.

Eric E on 10/05/03 at 16:49 (132328)

Lauren,
What device was used for your ESWT? Do you have more pain than before the procedure?
My wife had epf surgery in February and hasn't seen relief. She is considering ESWT Ossotron or Sonocur.
Thanks

Dr. Z on 10/05/03 at 18:04 (132333)

Eric,

Just from the description of Lauren telling us that the tech viewed her ultrasound she probaby had the dornier Epos ultra high energy eswt treatment.
Have you heard of this specific ESWT machine. It is the only FDA approved high energy machine that has outline built in ultrasound. As for the sonocur most physicians especially in Canada don't recommend the low energy sonocur for plantar fascia patients that have had previous foot surgery. I have used the Dornier on many patient that have had failed foot surgery with good results. The results may not be as effective if there is planar fascia surgery, but resolution of pain and healing is very possible . If there is nerve damage ESWT isn't indicated at all
Feel free to ask any additinal questions you may have

Eric E on 10/06/03 at 01:03 (132380)

Dr. Z, thanks for working on a Sunday!
This is tough, we have Ossatron and Sonocur where we live. Since my wife has had both the epf and neuroma sugery in the past 7 months, she's not real thrilled about anything invasive or painful. However, she has significant pain in the heel she had the epf on in February...no apparent nerve entrapments or anything...just pain.
So, I'm trying to 'sell' her on the idea of ESWT. Anything I can do to assure her of a good experience, I will do. Since the Sonocur involves three treatments and the Ossotron one...I think she would be more likely to accept the Ossatron.
She is nervous about the additional pain from the ESWT treatment she chooses.
Any input about effectivness and post-treatment pain is appreciated!
Thanks