Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Oh hurray! Missed You All!

Posted by marie on 10/04/03 at 10:59 (132170)

I missed you guys a bunch. >:D< There is nothing any of you can do that will make me not like you. I don't always like some folks choices but I still like the person. :)

Hope everyone had a nice week. I'm on my way to the marching bands district competition. My youngest plays clarinet. For those of you that aren't familiar with marching band in Indiana it's very competitive. If any of you caught the movie 'Drumline' that's what it's like but with alot more props and backgrounds. I believe Texas and Florida have similar types of competitions. It's a cold yuky day and I am still suffering with this sinus infection...back to the doctor for me.

Stay well, marie

Re: Oh hurray! Missed You All!

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/04/03 at 13:56 (132183)

Hope you have a great time. How old is your youngest?

I am doing paperwork in the office as I do on most Saturdays. Getting closer to becoming a paperless office with an integrated computerized system that should cut down the paperwork. Busy looking at quotes and hope to find a cooperative lending institution that will finance this very expensive project.

Peter R on 10/04/03 at 14:54 (132186)

Dr. Ed- I know some guys who will loan you all you need for any project- they are not particular and the colateral for the loan is simple. It's YOU!

Dorothy on 10/04/03 at 14:54 (132187)

Marie ~ Have fun! I LOVE marching bands - the best part of any sports event! Talk about lifting your spirits and making your feet want to MOVE -that's a marching band for you. I did so many things in high school, but as an adult, I have always said that if I had it to do over again, I would be in marching band. Whether in high school or college, they always look like they are having the most fun - and I think they seem to have the silliest, quirkiest collective sense of humor. I LOVE marching bands.
I wonder if they are plagued by PF with all that high-stepping, heavy loads, and extensive marching.... Well, I hope not!
I hope you are having a great time right now.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/04/03 at 15:23 (132193)

As long as they are not the guys who charge high rates and break peoples kneecaps when they cannot pay, I am interested.

marie on 10/04/03 at 16:19 (132198)

Well they made it through the district competition. Next will be Regionals. If they make it through that then it's state. It's hard to say if they'll advance or not but they seem to be having a good time.

Tonight is the District party. We've met alot of really nice folks through band. It is very family oriented. My kids have never felt embarrassed or acted like they didn't want to be with us. I think the marching band environment helped with that. I never got to drop my kids off to practice. Being a band parent means that you usually go with them to practice. Props, flags, food, fund raisers, and so on...it takes alot of parents to get the show on the road.

best wishes marie

marie on 10/04/03 at 16:30 (132199)

My youngest is 16. He just got his drivers license so i do tend to hold my breath a little every time he leaves the house. As much as I am glad he can get himself to school, work and band practice now, it still makes me a little nervous. He is a great kid. He gave up everything the summer before last and stayed with me at the cabin for 5 weeks. My feet and legs were very bad. The docs wouldn't give me medication as I was being tested and they didn't want anything to influence my test outcomes. So I was in a great deal of pain. I wanted to concentrate on getting well so I went there to get myself focused. He was afraid I would fall and get hurt so he insisted on staying out there with me. He walked with me each day...I went a little farther each time I set out. He was a big help.

Ed, You have a few years before yours will be driving. the time goes by quickly so enjoy them while they are little. I know this is probably an exhausting time of your lives right now but it does get better the older they get....and a little more expensive.

best wishes marie

Suzanne D. on 10/05/03 at 22:33 (132372)

Marie, good luck to your son's band as they advance to the Regionals. 'Been there; done that!' :) My 22 year old daughter was in band in high school and through college. In fact, she received some nice scholarship money in college for playing in the band, orchestra, and wind ensemble.

She was a clarinet player who played in the 'pit' (mallets) in marching band in high school as she had asthma, and I worried that the marching AND blowing, combined with the cool fall air might just be too much for her. Then her senior year she was field commander. In college she was in the pit two years, then marched clarinet one year and was again field commander her senior year.

I well remember what you are writing about! It is a very family-oriented activity, and kids whose parents weren't very involved seemed to really gravitate toward the rest of us and need our support. Every Christmas we would host the pit group for a party at our house. The year she was field commander, they wondered where they would have it. We said of course they could come back here. It was always fun.

Now she and her husband are continuing that type tradition. He is a second-year high school math teacher, and she is a first year 4th grade teacher. He also is assistant cross-country coach, and they had his team over to their little house for a party a couple of weeks ago. We had to laugh: one of the parents brought her son and looked around and asked if any adults would be there! My daughter and son-in-law look very young for 22 and 23. The parent was immediately embarassed when she realized what she said!

One particularly cold Saturday morning in November stands out in my mind. It was state competition, and I was determined to watch all the bands in my daughter's band's class. My husband and younger daughter watched their band and then went to a mall. I stayed for the two hours or more, and when I stood up on the metal bleachers, I could not feel my feet! (That was before PF; I would have really been in a mess if I also had PF then!) I had to stand a few minutes before I trusted my feet to walk down the bleachers.

Those were good times. Thanks for the memories!
Suzanne :)