Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Brian G- meds

Posted by Lari S. on 10/04/03 at 22:09 (132245)

Brian, see Day 2 recovery. Was already taking Darvocet 100 mg that were working like sugar pills. I have a fairly high tolerance for pain, but this was beyond bearing. Meds also react funny with me. Loritab and Vicodine give me instant migraine headaches, then I have to take MaxAlt to counter act. Talked it over with the Dr., and decided to go with 2 Vicodin 5/500 and just take the MaxAlt 10 at the same time. Seems to be working. When I was having shots for the nerves, he had to do double shots for any relief at all. He said he filled the surgery area with extra anesthesia and antibiotics prior to closing. The V & M combo seems to work, so I'll stick with it until I see he on Thursday.

Lari

Re: Brian G- meds

BrianG on 10/09/03 at 22:30 (133316)

Hi Lari,

This is exactly why I ask patients to discuss their pain meds with the doctors before the procedures. Everyone is different, due to tollerance, diabetic issues, etc. It's impotant your doctor knows what to prescribe. There is nothing harder than trying to get pain under control, after it's been wildly out of control. I'm happy to hear that your finally getting some relief.

I also asked my surgeon for anti-biotics, which I started taking the day of my surgery. I don't abuse them, I'm lucky if I take them every 2-3 years. I felt it was important to make sure I didn't get an infection. I know a lot of patients who get infected, for one reason or another. I wasn't going to allow that to happen if I could help it.

Good luck
BrianG

Re: Brian G- meds

Lari S. on 10/09/03 at 23:48 (133335)

We had gone over meds prior to the surgery. I actually took a 3 day course of antibiotics 1 day before, surgery day and day after. He also loaded the site with antib. before he closed up. I have a history of getting infections if I just look at a splinter! lol This looks to be a very minor infection, so should clear up well.

The pain meds were a different story. He wanted Vicodin 5/500, but I had a problem with it after sinus surgery 8 years ago. I went with Darvocet 100-650, but it just wasn't enough. Once the switch was made to 2 Vicodin every 4 hours, everything settled down, and migraines haven't been a problem.

Lari