Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Back of heel nodule

Posted by Gregg W on 10/06/03 at 11:13 (132428)

I've had bilateral PF for 5-6 years. Pain/tightness started at front of heels, has since moved to rear of the ball of the foot on each side. Have tried everything except surgery or cortisone shots.

My question is this: I can feel (cannot see) a small pea-sized lump at the back of my left heel just above the bottom of my foot. It is tender to the touch and moreso on days when my legs/feet are tight. If I hit it wrong (right?), it will send a streak of pain up my achilles tendon.

What's up?

Re: Back of heel nodule

dave r on 10/06/03 at 11:36 (132430)

Have you ever had your foot x-rayed? It sure sounds like a spur that has formed underneath your achilles tendon where it inserts into the back of your heel.Is the area swollen?

Gregg W on 10/06/03 at 11:45 (132431)

Both feet have been x-ray'd and showed no signs of any spur front or back of the heels. It is soft and conical feeling similar to a reaction to a sliver, but I've convinced it is not a sliver. The area is swollen, nor red.

BrianJ on 10/06/03 at 16:03 (132484)

The lump could be many things, and should be examined by a doctor to determine what it is. Could be a foreign body with scar tissue around it, could be an inflamed bursa sac, could be swelling from tendinitis, etc. You'll feel much better if you get it checked out.

Good luck.

Gregg W on 3/01/04 at 12:52 (145726)

For closure's sake, I was convinced that this was a plantar wart. After 4 months of treating it as such with salicylic acid to peel skin away, one night using a flashlight I noticed a reflecting glint of light. With a tweezer I was able to remove a very fine, 1/4 inch long shard of glass that had probably been there for years! Feels much better :-)