Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

i have big feet!!!

Posted by gigli .f. on 10/06/03 at 12:25 (132435)

im a woman with a size 10.5 in men size. is there any type of operation in which u can reduce the foot size?? please write me back... i have alot of trouble finding shoes. i need help!!!

Re: i have big feet!!!

Dorothy on 10/06/03 at 15:37 (132471)

Oh, dear, I am not a medical person, but I implore you to reconsider even THINKING seriously about such an idea. I suspect that anyone can find someone to do anything if they look long and hard enough...

Those are YOUR feet. Love 'em and appreciate 'em and don't even think about doing that thing to them - in my humble opinion.

How many custom-made shoes could you have made for the amount you would spend on a surgical procedure??

I mean, we all see 'men' who dress up as 'women' on television. They must have what is usually considered 'man-size' feet and they wear all sorts of shoes. Where do they get those shoes?? That should be your quest, the shoes, not different feet - in my humble opinion.

Is your foot/shoe size in proportion to the rest of you?? Maybe you need those feet for architectural/engineering reasons. I hope you can re-think this idea and come to friendly terms with your feet.

Pauline on 10/06/03 at 17:20 (132493)

Gigli,
Since there are 26 bones in the foot and 33 joints one can only imagine the surgical expertise it would take to reduce one's foot size. Not a simple procedure to say the least.

After reading the surgical complications attributed to what is considered a relatively minor surgery like P.F. release or Neuroma removal I can't begin to imagine what you would be up against having your feet surgically made smaller.

Given the seriousness of the surgery you want to undertake, I'd certainly do some serious homework and research before I'd undergo the knife especially if you want to walk pain free.

Sometimes it's better to accept and play the cards that we are given than ask for new ones.

AngelaC on 10/06/03 at 20:22 (132510)

Uh hemmmm. As far as I'm concerned, you have cute, little, petite feet. I'm a woman, and wear a size 13, (11.5 men's size). And yes, I have worn my share of men's shoes. But you know what? Zappos.com has plenty of women's shoes in my size, and yours must be a what, size 12? True, you won't find shoes off the rack, in local stores, but there's lots of web-sites that carry size 13s, enough to financially deplete any bank account. Zappos is the best; just search by size. But here's a few others: http://www.2bigfeet.com/index.php (they even carry women's size 15!!!!!!!); http://www.marylandsquare.com http://store.yahoo.com/shoedini-w/ http://www.largefeet.com/index.php

Let me know if you want some more sites. Oh, and don't forget Birkenstocks at birkenstockexpress.com. My favorite, along with zappos.com, since my pf has flared up. . .

Suzanne D. on 10/06/03 at 20:32 (132512)

You've been given some great advice here already! I'll just say that I wear a size 11 women's, and it is MUCH easier now to find shoes than it was when I was a teen. In my little town, they didn't stock women's shoes above a size 9, and it was frustrating. I wore sandals and open-toed shoes that were really too short, but then my toes could come to the end or hang over a little. I understand the frustration, but now there are SO many choices in a wide range of sizes!

After going through two years of foot pain, I now appreciate my feet more than I ever have! And I would encourage you to explore these sites Angela posted for you. I'll also mention that there are several Birkenstocks that are 'unisex' - like the Arizona sandal or Boston clog - which can be found in a wide range of sizes.

My best to you! Take good care of your feet and don't be ashamed of the size shoes you wear. The size is just a number. YOU are what is important!

Suzanne :)

kay on 10/12/03 at 08:24 (133702)

Oh for the love of God! I'll trade you my pain riddled feet for your pain free size 10 1/2's. Don't be so silly, thank the lord you have good feet.

wendyn on 10/12/03 at 08:34 (133703)

Kay - you would not believe how often people show up here looking for comsetic foot surgery.

Kathy on 10/12/03 at 17:40 (133764)

I would definitely not recommend any type of cosmetic foot surgery. Why don't you look on ebay.com for your size shoes. I'm sure you could find some different styles & give you a better outlook on yourself instead of considering surgery.

MarA on 11/28/03 at 13:58 (138882)

Kay-I suppose we all think the grass is greener on the other side. We tend to only see things through our own experiences. You have gained perspective from living with painful feet. However, if your feet were pain free and you had larger feet...you don't know how you would feel...let's have a little compassion!