Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by Joe B. on 10/06/03 at 13:01 (132440)

What type of shoes are recommended for supination?? I walk on the outsides of my heels and I can twist a shoe out of shape in a matter of months. My Pod stated that I will be able to wear any type of shoes once my new orthotics arrive and that the orthotics will stop me from supination. Also, can anyone recommend a well built work boot that comes in wide widths? I asked a CPed this question and he wouldn't answer me. I guess he didn't want me to go elsewhere and make a purchase on his recommendation since he didn't carry any type of work boot.

Re: supination

Richard. C.Ped on 10/07/03 at 08:25 (132567)

I usually suggest orthotics for supinators, but if the doc does not want to go that way yet, we have used lateral wedges inside the shoe to help reduce supination.

As for the work boot, do you need steel toe? If so, look into Redwing, LeHigh, and Wolveriene (I dont know if that is spelled correctly).

Also, Propet makes a great lightweight work/hiking boot..it is not steel toe though. I see quite a few landscapers that love this boot. It is called the Campwalker.

Joe B. on 10/07/03 at 09:32 (132571)

I don't need a steel toe, just a good work boot for around the house. Is the lateral wedge like an insert or does the shoe/boot have to be modified?? Can it be used along with an orthotic??

Richard. C.Ped on 10/07/03 at 13:07 (132614)

Hey Joe...
The lateral wedge is just a short term piece of material that can be put under the current insole. It is not a fix. The best thing is to have the custom orthotic. We have added weges to orthotics before, but I do not do it on a regular basis.

Here is a link to the Campwalker by Propet:

This is the Peakwalker:

I have not seen the Peakwalker before. I think I will be getting that one for personal use.