Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My orthotics only fit athletic shoes. Will they fit into any others?

Posted by francesc on 10/06/03 at 18:42 (132497)

I can't remember who talked about it a while ago but I have a question. I just got my orthotics and I can't seem to find any regular shoe for it to fit into except athletic shoes. This is really depressing!

Do you think it will fit into any of the Birkenstocks? Specifically the Annapolis? I can't find a store locally that carries many closed shoe Birks to try it out. Anyone have any advice? Do I need to ask my podiatrist for dress-shoe orthotics? (oh, no, not more $$$)

Any advice would be most welcome. I really don't think I can wear the same pair of NB running shoes for the next 6 months!

Thanks,
Frances

Re: My orthotics only fit athletic shoes. Will they fit into any others?

Suzanne D. on 10/06/03 at 19:14 (132499)

Frances, I don't know how much space you need for your orthotics, but I can tell you that I own two pairs of Annapolis shoes, and the footbed is removeable. The toe box is roomy, so perhaps your orthotics would fit in the shoes. I hope so!

Here is a site from which I have done business:

http://www.birkenstockexpress.com

I have found them to be helpful as far as answering questions. You can e-mail them from the site I gave you, and they will answer you.

Good luck!
Suzanne :)

Nan D on 10/06/03 at 20:41 (132517)

Francis,
I have been able to get a pair of SAS casual flats called Simple that look fairly stylish to wear the orthotic in. The insole is slightly glued so you can pull it out. (I can't remember the cost, approx $80.00 US I think)My NEW time consuming hobby is looking for shoes that fit orthotics!

It's a shame to spend $150 for Birks and have to take the well constructed insole out which is a lot of the expense. Birk has a couple of nice other designs that will also work. Another one you might try is Munroe which also has a removable insole. They are at Nordstroms and sometimes a good deal at DSW Shoes. The other thing I had to learn is if you didn't need a wide shoe before, you probably will w/ the orthotic. (either wide or double wide)
Good luck & let us know if you find others!
Nan

Richard. C.Ped on 10/07/03 at 08:21 (132566)

Usually, if you can fit the orthosis to a pair of athletic shoes, then they should go in other shoes as well. The bad news is that you should stay away from the real dressy type shoes. No heels or pointy toes. I would suggest looking for a nice pair of flats that your orthosis will accomodate your orthosis.

You may have to try each pair you have with the orthotics to see if they fit. Remember to take out the insole that came with the shoe before inserting the orthosis. Even if it is thin material, it could make a huge difference.
Richard

francesc on 10/07/03 at 15:45 (132629)

Thanks for all your comments. I ordered a pair of Annapolis from Birkenstock Express. Since they don't charge for tax or shipping! :-) I hope my insoles fit (it's hard not to get my hopes up).

Frances

Mary Ann S on 10/16/03 at 18:59 (134187)

I can only wear my orthotics in athletic shoes. In other shoe style(not dressy) ( I call them old lady shoes) my heel goes up because of the bottom of the orthotic. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mary Ann