Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS Surgery Recovery, Day 4

Posted by Lari S. on 10/06/03 at 22:33 (132532)

Decided to skip a day so as not to bore everyone. Had a dificult time getting comfortable today, but that is to be expected with recovery. Have only been up on the crutches a few times since Friday, but they really make your underarms sore. Any suggestions?

Hubby got home and took over nursemaid duties from my sis. He is NOT a natural, lol, but at least he is trying. (Said he had more fun being shot at while flying in VietNam.) I am trying 'gentle instruction', but have always said, 'You can always tell a pilot, you just can't tell them much.' :)

Lari

Re: TTS Surgery Recovery, Day 4

wendyn on 10/06/03 at 23:06 (132542)

Lari - you could try to put more pressure on your hands and less on your armpits. But - you will probably end up with sore wrists. It's sort of a losing battle but you will probably adjust to the crutches with practice.

wendyn on 10/07/03 at 06:57 (132558)

Lari - I'm glad to hear your recovery is going pretty good - I know foot surgery is rough.

Sorry for the confusion on the social board..please email me if you have any concerns.

Thanks

Sharon W on 10/07/03 at 07:02 (132560)

Lari,

Days 3 and 4 are usually difficult.

Sounds like you're probably doing the right thing with the crutches, just get used to them a little bit at a time -- and as Wendy says, try to avoid putting too much pressure on your armpits. You sound like a fairly athletic woman so I bet you'll get the hang of it...

How is the swelling?? When do you see the doctor again?

Sharon
:)

Lari S. on 10/07/03 at 11:28 (132585)

I go see the doc every Thursday, starting this Thursday. The swelling is mainly around the ankle now, but not too bad. Of course, I'm supposed to keep my heel above eye level and NOT be up on the crutches unless absolutely necessary. I'm limited to 15 minutes max upright time. I think the fact that I've only been up a handful of times and the 600 mg of Motrin are helping to keep the swelling at a minimum.

The crutches are easy to use, just uncomfortable. I'm trying to imagine using them to get around once he lets me get back on my feet. Oh well, it can't be any worse on the arms than swinging yourself around on the uneven bars.

Lari

Lari S. on 10/07/03 at 11:37 (132587)

Thanks Wendy. I can assure you that I've lived too many places (including overseas for 5 years), met too many diverse people, and worked with too many Generals and officials to get too concerned about a social board. I just feel there is a time and place for everything, and people need to figure that out. Enough said on the subject. :)
Lari

Sharon W on 10/07/03 at 14:27 (132622)

Lari,

Since you come from a family full of doctors I'm sure you DO know how important it really is to keep your foot up... Unfortunately, some people don't, they think those instructions sound exaggerated so they relax and just stretch that foot out on the bed for a while because having your foot up like that ALL the time does start to get uncomfortable after a while... and then they get into trouble with swelling (which is a whole lot MORE uncomfortable than keeping your surgery foot up)!

Does ice seem to help it? What kind of pain are you getting... stinging, throbbing... little 'zappers'...?

The good thing about this surgery and using crutches is that you will be increasing your 'up' time gradually enough that you may actually find your developing skills with the crutches actually more or less keeps up with the amount of time you are allowed to be up on them, anyway. :)

Sharon:)

marie on 10/08/03 at 20:19 (132936)

Lari,

I hope you're doing better today. I don't like crutches either. It does sound like things are going well. It takes time for this type of surgery to heal. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

best wishes marie