Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re Social/Support Board

Posted by Dorothy on 10/07/03 at 02:34 (132554)

Sorry - I actually did not realize that the ban on political discussions was a permanent ban. I thought it was a cooling off period. It is obvious that the website belongs to its owner who can establish whatever rules and policies he wants; I was not ignoring or skirting that fact. I simply misunderstood the extent of the rules. I apologize for causing the anger to Judy S.or Wendy or anyone else. You do not need to leave the board for this reason. I will absent myself instead. No hard feelings on my part and I hope you will feel comfortable in returning since there will be no further political or inflammatory discussion. Good wishes to you all.

Re: Re Social/Support Board

Sharon W on 10/07/03 at 08:00 (132563)

Dorothy,

I wasn't going to post here, but I will for you.

It is easy to see how, being a newcomer as you still really are, you would get that impression. As you can see, the rules here are determined by the webmaster.

I would like to discuss this with you more in depth but *not* on this social board; here is my e-mail, if you're interested (leave out the spaces, of course):

syaw @ prodigy.net

Sharon
:-s

john h on 10/07/03 at 09:46 (132573)

Dorothy: You and I often disagree on various subjects but I think you and I can agree that limiting the subject matter of discussions on a board that 'was' an open forum for any discussions seems to fly in the face of the Constitution. Heated debate and open discussions were an integral part of the founding of our nation and is promoted in any academic enviroment.As you see that you on one end a specturm and I on the other can be censored.. We have had some informative disagreements on the board and I have learned a lot from these debates. We debated such subjects as the effectivness of ESWT in much the heated manner we have politics. I am the better for it. The most important matters in the world today such as the War on Terror, National Elections. 9/11, Iraq, etc all have a political part to them. What are we left with? baseball, gardening, the weather? I think we have a group of people who want the expand their minds beyond the trivial.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/07/03 at 10:06 (132574)

John:

Dorothy often brought a unique perspective to the board the transcended traditional 'labelling' of ideas. Her thoughts will be missed. I guess someone is going to have to keep watch on all new posters who are motivated to bring up current events. The whole thing is really sort of sad.
Ed

D.Thomas on 10/07/03 at 10:23 (132575)

If you guys find or create another site, let me know. I know you can setup message boards at Google, Yahoo, etc. No big deal. Message board splits on issues happen all the time on the Internet.

I know one thing for sure, I am not staying around here any longer. I am not saying what is happening is wrong, it's just not my cup of tea. I am also very committed to creating another survey for PF on the Internet. So, I am open to any ideas from others who want to move on?

marie on 10/07/03 at 11:03 (132581)

D. Thomas,

I will look into setting up a board at Google...Have you done this before?

marie

Aly on 10/07/03 at 11:11 (132584)

It would appear I'm going to take an unpopular stance here, but I think that ScottR has done the right thing. I think the problem has been that political conversations become so heated and go on for so long that they dominate the board. If the board were dominated by the topic of quilting, and you saw message after message after message on the subject, for days on end, might you not get bored and feel that perhaps you weren't on the right board for you?

My point is simply that domination by *any* subject matter focuses a board in that direction. When you stick to topics that do not generate such intense views, topics come and go and variety is maintained. This board was intended for social and emotional support, part of which is socializing amongst ourselves. I do not believe it was intended for intense debate on any topic (except perhaps on foot-related issues).

There are many places one can go on the net to take part in political (and quilting);) boards and to engage in stimulating debate. And there are plenty of things one can talk about here that are beyond the trivial and are not such hot topics - for starters, new medical advances (e.g. I recently read this great article on new 'bionic' arms that respond to an amputee's brainwaves - they want to move the fingers, so they move); things going on in each other's lives; domestic happenings (e.g. the hurricane & it's aftermath) - the board doesn't have to become mindless just because politics are not discussed.

I feel that if we continue to debate this topic much longer, it will simply be taking the place of the political discussions - it is, after all, a political discussion on many levels. Why can't we just agree to Scott's terms with respect, and if need be, find other outlets or email one another privately. Scott has been gracious enough to maintain this site for years, I'm sure he doesn't need to deal with such headaches in his spare time...

D.Thomas on 10/07/03 at 11:58 (132595)

Marie,

I did it a couple of years ago, but much has changed. I used a site called http://www.deja.com , but I have found that it is now Google. You might try there and see what you can do. I would be willing to invest some money if needed.

I am out of town until Saturday. Let me know how things go and we can go from there. I am still in the process of finding a site that will host the survey. I have a couple of prospects.

I'll keep in touch. I need to setup a temp email address so I don't offend others here. I have some good ideas and would like the input of others who are interested. I will do that when I get back and post it here for my last post so anyone can keep in touch.

john h on 10/07/03 at 12:01 (132597)

Marie & Dorothy: We often disagree but let me know if you go somewhere else because I really enjoy our discussions and your informed views..

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/07/03 at 12:02 (132598)

D. Thomas:
Count me in -- I will go with you. I will be happy to answer questions concerning foot problems. I am too limited here, not to mention my limitations on the ESWT board discussing low energy ESWT (doing it in a way that some here feel the FDA would not consider marketing). I see little value in staying here. My email is (email removed)
Regards,
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/07/03 at 12:04 (132599)

John, Marie and Dorothy:
Yes -- I want to stay in touch too. Please email me at (email removed) as I really don't want to lose track of you.
Ed

Sharon W on 10/07/03 at 12:18 (132602)

D., Marie, John h, Dr. Ed, et al,

I too am interested in this venture and will be waiting to see what you are able to set up. I've often found these political discussions interesting and would enjoy continuing with them -- and other 'hot' discussion topics -- elsewhere, so that noone here will be bothered by the controversial atmosphere that such debate creates.

Sharon
:)

Sharon W on 10/07/03 at 12:20 (132604)

I forgot to leave my e-address (take out the blanks, of course):

syaw @ prodigy.net

Sharon

Re: For Dorothy

Sharon W on 10/07/03 at 12:24 (132605)

I should have added, I'd love to hear from you even if you DON'T want to discuss Heelspurs...

Sharon

nancy s. on 10/07/03 at 12:36 (132607)

i'm with you, aly, and i think your stance is unpopular only among a few. this board was a truly wonderful place for a very long time, and conversation covered anything and everything, from the fun and trivial to the important and profound (and you *know* that, john -- your sneering about what you now see as trivial is a sorry thing for me to see and i thought it would have been beneath you, which i also thought of your post to suzanne last week).

the topic itself (in this case politics), as i see it, is not really the main problem. the main problem is a few individuals who have driven the board into the ground with their constant focus on that topic, which over several months has included their supposed 'right' to insult, belittle, badmouth, condescend, be nasty, be arrogant, and repeat themselves endlessly, all the while congratulating each other as others grew quieter and quieter. what a pitiful sight. if it weren't for them, politics could be one of the many topics discussed here, as it was for three or four years before this.

scott really had only two choices: ban the topic or ban the individuals. i personally know of only one person who complained directly to scott about the direction of the board, so i suspect he took a look here himself and didn't like what he saw. i'm back only because someone emailed me that he decided to do *something* -- i'd reluctantly given up on the board many months ago.

i'm not going to make a judgment on the choice scott made. as judy rightly pointed out, this is his board, and participating here is a PRIVILEGE, not a right. does everyone get that??? we are all guests on his website. i think some have been here so long that they've forgotten this is not a taxes-paid-for town meeting or something and they don't have a 'right' to behave however they please as a guest on scott's website. all the whining is ridiculous. many -- probably most -- other message boards i've visited have stricter rules than scott's, have moderators, and so on. i haven't seen anyone anywhere else whine about their free speech rights. they know they can go somewhere more appropriate, or out on the street corner for that matter, and bellow out their political views until their voices give out.

scott was on target when he said the other day that the social/support board has been abused. the political extremists who are unhappy with scott's choice can thank themselves for this turn of events instead of berating scott or the moderators. and they can thank scott for not banning them outright, for not disinviting them to his website completely. i would certainly disinvite to my home the few here who have taken advantage and made this an unpleasant place for foot pain sufferers. many people with political views different from mine come into my home and remain welcome in my home -- because they don't disrespect others and they show courtesy, whatever the topic. anyone who is disrespectful or nasty can leave my home and go to someone else's, and that includes anyone of any political persuasion.

i think R C has some workable ideas. i hope those who are unhappy with scott's choice will quit their crying and consider those ideas. but it looks to me like the same people who overdid the politics have now turned to overdoing the whining, and those people will be glad to hear that i have no intention of hanging around with a bunch of selfish children. i'll be gone.

nancy

nancy

Re: Okay, Nancy we are out of here, hope you are happy that you got your last "dig" in here.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/07/03 at 12:51 (132609)

Adios.
Ed

Re: Okay, Nancy we are out of here, hope you are happy that you got your last "dig" in here.

nancy s. on 10/07/03 at 13:01 (132612)

actually, it was a heartfelt opinion, not a simple dig. adios.

Re: For Aly

Sharon W on 10/07/03 at 13:14 (132615)

Aly,

I think your post was meant seriously and so I will answer the question at the end of it seriously.

You wrote: 'I feel that if we continue to debate this topic much longer, it will simply be taking the place of the political discussions - it is, after all, a political discussion on many levels. Why can't we just agree to Scott's terms with respect, and if need be, find other outlets or email one another privately.'

Your point is well taken, and I agree that we need to put an end to this. So, obviously, do most of those who had enjoyed participating in the political discussions -- as you will see if you read the posts, above, where other alternatives are being discussed.

Sharon

Re: For Aly

Aly on 10/07/03 at 13:20 (132616)

You're right Sharon,

It's true, only a couple of people were still actively debating it. I hereby complete my portion of the discussion by saying, I do hope the people who enjoyed the political debates will find a place to continue to do so, as well as visiting the board here for other discussions. It's too bad that we might lose some well-liked people over this...

Aly

Bonnie on 10/07/03 at 15:34 (132628)

Please let me know if you move to another board. Thanks, Bonnie
(email removed)

marie on 10/07/03 at 17:43 (132655)

Thanks john...I'm working on a skeleton message board. I will wait to get D. Thomas email address when he returns. I too do not wish anyone to leave the board over this. I don't plan on going anywhere....I feel like I'm just watching traffic at the moment. This is a great place with great folks. If I get this board set up for a test I'll give you a hollar. Scott is a wonderful web host and very patient with us.

marie

Dr. Z on 10/07/03 at 17:51 (132656)

Can I visit. I think the social board was alot of fun. I think we should be able to speak our minds etc

marie on 10/07/03 at 18:07 (132659)

I'm working on it Dr. Z

marie

Re: Are we all serious. Adios. I can't stop laughting

Dr. Z on 10/07/03 at 20:34 (132711)

People are leaving this board. Is Dr. Ed etc really serious. This is so ridiculous that I am laughting. Ok. Now that I have complete control over this board again. When can we get rid of Mr. Arafat.

Pauline on 10/07/03 at 20:58 (132718)

Only for the 4th time and still counting. Not to worry Dr. Z. Here is a tip---Watch the pattern.

Pauline on 10/08/03 at 12:09 (132802)

See, I told you not to worry Dr. Z. Simply just another announcement.
Think of it like a fire drill and you'll feel more comfortable the next time it happens. You won't panic nor will others.