Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

baseball -- love "my" team, what a night!

Posted by nancy s. on 10/07/03 at 08:06 (132564)

if anyone with pf or its fellow syndromes isn't a fan, you might consider becoming one. these days it's impossible to be aware of pain if you care about a game. the tension, the tension!

the red sox won last night in a to-the-last-second thriller, what a game (and now will play a series with the yankees for the american league championship). we're in big celebration mode here. as if the game itself weren't heart-stopping enough, my favorite player had to get knocked out (literally) in a horrible collision in center field. they took him off the field via ambulance. they think he'll be ok, which is a miracle -- if you saw the colllision, you'd think he'd be dead, which is what i feared for a minute or two.

so today, go cubs -- hope to see ya at the world series.

from nancy, the unlikeliest fan of a sport

Re: baseball -- love "my" team, what a night!

Lari S. on 10/07/03 at 11:40 (132588)

Not a big fan of baseball, but congrats to you and your team!
Lari

Rick R on 10/07/03 at 12:18 (132603)

Nancy,

I have been a Cub's fan for a long darned time, but not long enough to remember their last World Series. I'm thinking we'll have something going here if we get both of our perennial looser clubs to the big one! I was sort of pulling for the A's only because a close friend is an A's fan and I was looking forward to being a pain in the you know what. We both coached in our town this past summer, me the Cubs, and he the A's. My son was planning on a major reunion of our teams complete with grudge match. At this point it's got to be Bo Sox all the way against the dreaded Yankees. So I'll be pulling for you.....for a while!

Rick

nancy s. on 10/07/03 at 12:55 (132611)

rick: i guess you're lucky not to be old enough to remember the cubs' last world series. i'm old enough to remember the red sox' last world series (1986 -- yes, i'm SO old!), and if you remember that one you know what we diehards went through when that ball trickled through buckner's legs into the outfield. ugh.

but hey -- maybe you'll get to be a pain in the you know what right here if our teams meet for the big one.

thanks for your support . . . i think . . . for now! and thank you too, lari.

nancy

Rick R on 10/07/03 at 13:31 (132617)

Heck, my PF remembers the 86 series. I was 3 years into it by then I couldn't jump up and down and curse. It's all stored up just waiting to pop. And of course, it had to be one of my favorite x Cubbies letting that stinking ball roll between his legs. What a great player and guy and for that to happen....sheesh. I should talk, I can't even bend down enough to field a ground ball anymore! I tried to play a couple of games this year it was a sight for sore eyes and sore feet. Let's play 2!

Rick

nancy s. on 10/07/03 at 13:55 (132619)

oh, believe me, my heart went out to buckner. it could have happened to anyone. i was happy to see many signs in boston that week reading 'we love you anyway, bill!'

my hair stood up when you said your pf remembers 1986! then i recalled that when i first got here, you were about the longest case on the board, i think 17 years, is that right?

can you jump up and down now a bit for the cubs? hope so. although if you've been saving it for all these years and are ready to pop, you might be on the scary side of explosion if they win it all. you'd better warn your neighbors beforehand if it comes to that.

nancy

Rick R on 10/07/03 at 15:08 (132625)

Good memory, I'm impressed. Let's see, daughter # 2 is 20, so that makes it, yup 20 years now. On a good day at higher elevations wearing running shoes I might be able to uncork a tiny jump for joy. After my surgery was scheduled in 1996 I took a few more risks. I jammed my finger on the regulation basketball rim. I sure showed that 10 year old little runt! I'm thinking not bad for a 40 year old 6ft tall cripple carrying around a few extra days worth of rations on the old carcass. Since surgery, even after getting back to 5 miles per day running, at one point, shedding 20 pounds (that same point), I can hardly jump over an ant hill. I'm not in much danger of hurting myself by over-exuberance. Not like when I literally went through the ceiling during the 85 Bears run. I'm pretty sure it was a Mike Singeltary interception against the Giants in the NFC Championship game but who remembers details, oh yea, you do.

Rick

wendyn on 10/07/03 at 18:34 (132667)

Rick - you mean to tell me that you weren't around 95 years ago?

I am VERY excited for Chicago..Cubs fans are so dedicated - they deserve SOMETHING after almost a hundred years.

I have family and Boston and Chicago - could make for an interesting World Series if they both make it (then I won't be able to talk to Nancy since she will be On The Other Side)