Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Departures

Posted by John H on 10/07/03 at 15:01 (132624)

We have now had two Doctors depart our board and one other foot professional. This is a serious loss to people in foot pain. Their medical advice was for free and they will be missed by people needing advice on foot problems. We may have some politically happy people but this is a loss not to be dismissed. The board can survive and prosper without people like me but people who offer free and knowledgeable medical help will in the end take it's toll.

Re: Departures

Rick R on 10/07/03 at 15:46 (132631)

John,

It is a darned shame. If it were my site I'd love to have a spirited political discussion forum. I must admit an interest bordering on an obsession. But it's not mine and I do see Scott's point. If sports talk became so dominant that it detracted from his intent to have a 'social support' board he established so we can cry on each others shoulders, without diluting the more information based boards, I could also see redirecting things.

What's appealing to me about getting into the politics here is doing so with people I have come to know and respect through other experiences. I'm much more enriched by examining a differing point of view coming from a friend. If the first contact is based on disagreement from the get go I'm less likely to give it the time of day, as much as I try to understand other points of view. I think it would be great if one of us did have time to create such an independent site.

Rick

Peter R on 10/07/03 at 15:48 (132632)

Well the board still has der Obengrupenfuhrer, Scott, who I think feels that he can replace every proffessional that donated their time to his bundt.

marie on 10/07/03 at 15:57 (132633)

I am looking into it. I have never created a message board so please be patient with me. I don't like to see anyone leave the board but it is their choice. I hope that those who left will see this post and consider giving heelspurs a chance to move forward.

marie

Phil C. on 10/07/03 at 15:58 (132634)

Rick:
You may need to read this fast as the so-called moderators had been deleting posts just for disagreeing with the gang that controls the board.

Your point is very well taken. I could go to a politics only board, or a board which represents a certain political view but then there would be little debate and exchange of ideas. Intelligent people enjoy the exchange of ideas irrespective of their underlying political philosophies. A few here want to turn every political discussion into an argument and hate fest. We are not going to change them.

If a new site or forum is created, I will follow.

Phil C.

Rick R on 10/07/03 at 16:35 (132642)

I do as well Marie. This has been an incredible board with so much to offer. Frankly I think it's a bit odd that folks would bail because it's creator chooses to keep it focused on what drew us together to begin with. I wonder how you would keep a new home for our politicking from becoming just another cesspool. There's a lot of garbage out there. I think some of us started to head here to discuss political matters because it is such a place of reason compared to politically oriented sites. I'm sure Scott is well aware of where that can head. We did tend to start down that path a bit I think.

Rick

Dorothy on 10/07/03 at 16:48 (132646)

What do you mean by '... hope that those who left will see this post and consider giving heelspurs a chance to move forward.'?

I am not being sarcastic. I honestly do not know what you mean, other than that it seems to be a veiled reference to something.

And, did someone ask you to do this or suggest that you create a message board? Is this about the photography club that you are starting?

As I wean myself away, I am looking for specificity and clarification.

Phil C. on 10/07/03 at 16:51 (132647)

Rick:
I have read the boards for some time. What drew people together to begin with no longer exists. This board has been wide open for all to express themselves for as long as I can remember. There have been only a few occasions when things got overheated and that is no reason to chase away people who have been here a long time.
Phil c.

Re: Political discussion board/round table

marie on 10/07/03 at 17:02 (132650)

I think we did as well. That's why I have no big problem with Scott's request. I don't know that it will turn into a mess or not. I have found instructions on how to make a message board. Of course some guidelines must be put in place...things we have worked through in the past like no name calling or sarcastic comments. I am looking at other boards for info. I also believe folks should have to register in order to sign on and post. It could be an exclusive political round table if we wish. First lets just see if I can do this. It's my hope that it will be a complimentry service of heelspurs. If I can do it I'll approach Scott about linking it here. I hope that Judy, Wendy and the doctors will reconsider leaving and understand that I can't do this overnight. So in the meantime I hope that folks will abide by Scott's rule and pleeeeeze try to be nice.:)

I am going to need some serious sideline cheerleading so if you're one of the folks who left...H-E-L-P out.

best wishes marie

nancy s. on 10/07/03 at 17:20 (132651)

that was very well put, rick.

nancy

nancy s. on 10/07/03 at 18:30 (132663)

marie, i'm cheerleading your efforts all the way! you are a model of decorum, for one thing, and i can only hope to attain your diplomatic abilities someday. i think your efforts to create a political discussion website are downright heroic -- and that you want to stay here too shows the depth and breadth of both your mind and your heart. thank you, thank you, thank you.

nancy

John H on 10/07/03 at 19:02 (132678)

Marie: I suspect you have the smarts to do this. I support your effort and will support you financially if that is what it takes. If Scott would create a board that was an open forum I think at least several of us would help him defray all the cost. This way everyone could be happy and we could all still be on the Heelspurs Board. He already has the website up and going and anyone who wants to avoid any controversy could just avoid the open forum board. He seems a master at creating a website and this would be a piece of cake for him. It seems to me cost would be his major concern. A lot of our heated controversal subjects have indeed been about things not political but connected with heel pain. We had some knock down drag outs about ESWT on more than one occasion.