Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I've been doing a lot of thinking...

Posted by Suzanne D. on 10/07/03 at 21:04 (132720)

Hello, Friends. I have been doing a great deal of thinking over the past few days. And much of it has made me sad. I did not ask Scott to ban anything from the board, but I thanked him for his guidelines because I personally didn't like the name-calling and hostile posting that seemed to always result from the political threads. That is just me. I hate name-calling and am extra-sensitive to it. I don't expect everyone to agree with me. But when I was harshly addressed after thanking him, I shied away from posting other than to try to help out on the other boards.

I'm in the middle of our two-week fall break from school. There are some things I have had on my mind that I would like to share with my friends here (like my 76-year old mother-in-law's wedding this past weekend), but I have hesitated to post anything as it might be considered trivial by some in the heat of the current issue.

And so I have thought to myself, what has anyone gained? I know life is not a schoolroom, and I know we are not living out 'Leave It to Beaver'. But I just wish people could follow the 'Be nice' rule. I am not trying to control anything or anyone. I am not wanting a goody-goody board where everyone agrees with me (That would be dull.) or talks about quilts and ice cream all the time. But is it too much to ask that one can come here and not be met with mean talk and harshness? I know; that's the real world. Sometimes I get enough of the real world. Sometimes I like a place where I can be treated with respect without having to worry about conflict. I am sorry if that desire has inadverdently (I never could spell that word; sorry.) brought about more conflict on this board. I never intended that in my thank you to Scott.

I visited the funeral home last night to help comfort a friend who lost her father to cancer. He was my age. I drove home thinking about how short life can be and how I want every day to do something to help someone else and not cause more pain. If I have caused anyone here pain, then I am sorry. The thought of that has brought me to tears.

Today, to try to get my mind off all this, I did some searching to find out what the theme for this year's Children's Book Week is. It is always the third week in November, and I wanted to plan for my activities. The theme this year is 'Free to Read'. So much for getting my mind off the board!

I respect other opinions and don't expect everyone to be like me. Goodness, I wouldn't wish that on anyone! :) But couldn't we have some give-and-take on both sides? Oh, well, that's enough. I don't guess any more can be written than already has been written.

I just feel sad that so many are hurt. Our feet are bad enough; we don't need other hurts, too, if we can help it.

Sorry for the rambling post. These are just my thoughts.
Suzanne

Re: I've been doing a lot of thinking...

Suzanne D. on 10/07/03 at 22:59 (132739)

Upon reading over my above post, I realize it sounds confused and self-pitying. I don't consider myself to be a whining person, and I don't like to come across that way here.

I think this indicates the need for me to take a break from all this. Perhaps a day of house cleaning would help clear my mind as well as cobwebs!

Suzanne :)

Dorothy on 10/07/03 at 23:37 (132749)

Not confused or self-pitying - just unloading a little maybe. It's ok.

Necee on 10/08/03 at 00:43 (132751)

I appreciate what you wrote Suzanne, and no, you were not rambling.
Your words were truly written from your heart, and made much more sense than what has been written here lately.

I get frustrated and sometimes angry when I read those political posts, that's why I just stopped reading them, period. I guess I finally realized that joining in the heated debate was not going to get me anywhere, I'm certainly not going to change anyone elses mind, besides that, I get enough stress in the outside world.

This website is suppose to be a safe haven...isn't that why we all showed up here in the first place??? We are all suffering, and when people hurt, regardless of what ever reason, we retreat to a place where we feel comfortable, and for me this was my 'comfort zone'.

I hope this board picks itself up by the bootstraps, regroups, and gets on with the business here of helping others...and not tearing people down.

Suzanne, I truly cherish our friendship, and appreciate your compassion, your wisdom, and insight more than you'll ever know. It's because of this board that our paths crossed, and for that I'm very grateful.

I can only hope that other folks who are suffering, and feel helpless, will not be discouraged by what has transpired over the past few weeks, but rather continue to read and reach out......because I'll be here.....reaching back.

Happy trails to you.......

Necee