Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

orthodics and NEW sneakers

Posted by Jane on 10/07/03 at 21:48 (132728)

I have been wearing my orthotics for 2 years now.....they are finally at a point where they are actually working.....WHEW!!! Now that I'm in the market for a new pair of sneakers, I can't find one with the arch high enough. Let's put it this way, I can tell how well the orthotics have helped me. I have a space between the arch and my foot. I can't forgo the orthotics because if I do my feet will be killing me with in two days....(I know this because I can't wear them with my dress flats). Any thoughts, ideas?

Re: orthodics and NEW sneakers

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/08/03 at 22:40 (132982)

The 'arch' in the sneaker should be irrelevant if you are wearing your orthotics in them. Most, but not all patients with PF, benefit from a good motion control running shoe.

Re: orthodics and NEW sneakers

Richard, C.Ped on 10/09/03 at 09:15 (133038)

Is the space you are talking about between your orthotic and your foot or the shoe and the orthotic?

If the space is between your orthotic and your shoe..that should be fine as long as the orthosis is hard plastic. If the space is between your foot and the orthosis...well that is a problem.

I have not found one athletic shoe with an arch. Take out the insole and there is just a flat midsole.

As Ed stated...that should not matter. As long as the orhosis is interfaced correctly with the shoe (no cupping or bending) you should be fine.

I have found that many clog type shoes do have a built up area for an arch. That is harder to fit with an orthosis.