Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by John H on 10/08/03 at 13:39 (132833)

As Martin Luther Kind said 'Free at last, Free at Last, thank God I am free at last'.

I have some thoughts on this new board. They are just my thoughts.

1. Let us keep long paste to a minimum and use URL's
2. Scotts be nice rule is a pretty good rule.
3. I view this board as a board for all including Liberal and Conservative viewpoints.
4. We should when possible continue to support the other boards and help those with PF problems. That after all is what this site is all about.
5. It is up to us to make this board work and make all welcome and all viewpoints welcome. Scott has been gracious enough to create this board so it is now up to us people.
6. I am really excited about having this board that is open to all and all subjects. I harbor no ill will towards any who wanted to limit debate. The Social Board can now be the place it wants to be and hopefully some of those people will wonder over into this world and join in.
7. The great thing about this board is we all know each other in one way or another and have some very bright people here.

Thanks Scott!

Re: Awsome

John H on 10/08/03 at 13:54 (132841)

Darn: I thought I posted this on the new OTHER BOARD. Hope this is not a glitch. Sorry

Rick R on 10/08/03 at 13:59 (132844)

Hey fancy meeting you here. By the way can you tell me what revelation came about regarding Mr. Davis that wasn't out or common knowledge at the time of his election? I have asked this question of a friend allowed to vote in the state of Calif and she couldn't answer it. In my feeble way of thinking it's pretty darned germane to any position I'd take.

Rick R on 10/08/03 at 14:03 (132847)

Oh crud, I think I'm in the wrong place. Sorry

Dorothy on 10/08/03 at 15:04 (132859)

John's Platform gets my vote; in fact, this gets all of my votes!

Trained in the School of Chicago Politics... :-)

marie on 10/08/03 at 15:29 (132873)

Sounds wonderful John!

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/08/03 at 15:43 (132880)

Sounds good. Still a bit confused which board is which.

Peter R on 10/08/03 at 16:58 (132907)

Help me- I've fallen into a chat board and I can't get out.

Re: So is this the Social/Support board?

Suzanne D on 10/08/03 at 17:41 (132910)

I am not trying to be dumb here; I'm just trying to understand. Remember, I have to have things explained like a first grader! :)

I thought the boards were swapped, but it says 'Social/Support' at the top here. If I go to 'Plantar Fasciitis / Heel Pain Category' on the main index of the message boards, then I can click to the 'Other' board. I assume that is where all the political discussions, etc. are to be held. And I noticed it said one could be 'mean' as long as no one slandered a doctor.

But I also read that Scott would like to keep the Social/Support board more centered on heel pain suffering. I want to abide by his wishes.

So if I want to write about something cute my first graders did, where do I go? That's not about heel pain suffering, but it has been made clear the past week that posts about recipes, poems, sewing and the like are trivial, so I don't feel I would be welcome with most of what I write about on the 'Other' board.

I don't feel I belong anywhere!

Thanks, if you can enlighten me.
Suzanne :)

Dorothy on 10/08/03 at 17:59 (132916)

Oh, Suzanne! This needs to get cleared up pronto so you and I and anyone else knows exactly what the categories mean. I am a little confused myself. Here's what I THINK I know (emphasis on the uncertainty of 'think')... Social/Support is definitely for foot-related but social and supportive matters. What I don't know is if it is also for social matters such as you the ones you mention. 'Other' is for political discussions. What I don't know is if all 'other' issues that are not clearly foot-related also go here. I posted a post about 'ladybugs' on Other. Was this wrong? I dunno. So there are two of us who have some questions.

As far as the political discussions, I THINK (same emphasis as above) that you have it wrong there. I think that the same 'Be Nice' rule applies and that prohibits 'mean'. Is this wrong? I dunno. Maybe we need another vote a la: do we want to be mean? (I think not.)

You belong on all of the sites here! But I know what you mean...

John H on 10/08/03 at 18:19 (132921)

Other is just not for political discussions but anything your heart desires including lady bugs. I think the Other board will eventually be like the Social Support board once was. yes there will be politics and debates but my interest are wider that that.

Suzanne D. on 10/08/03 at 19:26 (132924)

Thanks, Dorothy, for helping me feel I am not alone in my questions.

I got the 'mean' part from the top of the 'Other' board which states:
'The purpose of this message board is to discuss anything, mean or nice, as long as it is not illegal, like libel against a doctor.'

John H on 10/08/03 at 20:20 (132937)

Suzzane: i think any post that makes a person happy also helps their feet in some ways. I know a post or something than makes me unhappy can sure cause by back to act up.

Suzanne D. on 10/08/03 at 20:41 (132945)

You're right, John. I went back to school tonight to pick up something I needed for my children's class at church. We're on a two-week break, and I found my dehumidifier unplugged with a note taped to the recepticle on the wall which stated, 'Please keep the dehumidifier unplugged until authorized by _________________.' And the name of our new 'energy expert' was listed. It was signed by my principal.

I got so upset that my head started hurting as well as my feet. I've had so many allergy problems since we moved into our new school building and brought in my own dehumidifier which has helped some. WITH it running, the humidity in my room is 62%. Without it, it is 75% which is unhealthy.

I called my principal rather than wait until Monday when we go back. I am to e-mali our energy expert and ask him about it. In the meantime, I'm going to get a doctor's statement that I need one. I was hoarse to varying degrees from Aug. 1 when school began until Tuesday of our first week off. I took sinus medicine all the time and was treated for a sinus infection. I'm taking nothing now and feel fine other than being upset over this latest event!

Well, thanks for letting me unload this! I've had a lot going on lately as well as what has been happening on the boards.

And, yes, happy things make us feel better, don't they?

Suzanne D. on 10/08/03 at 20:42 (132946)

That should be e-mail, not e-mali. Stress also affects my spelling! :)

Carole C in NOLA on 10/08/03 at 23:17 (132989)

Suzanne, that is awful that they want to make you keep your dehumidifier off. I think that if you get a doctor's statement, and if they see it and believe that you might try to sue, they may relent. At least, I sure hope that they do.

I feel so lucky that my physical environment at work is really good. It's still work, but I don't have to tolerate being sick just to be there.

Carole C

Dorothy on 10/09/03 at 01:44 (133000)

Suzanne ~ That's terrible! How about if we all sign a petition for you to have him and/or the Energy Expert recalled!! A dehumidifier can make a big difference, especially in a humid climate like Ky., to those with sinus issues. It's a delicate balance - not too much humidity and not too dry. I hope you are heard and the dehumidifier gets plugged in and you feel better. Were they doing this because of the 2-week break or for all of the time? I have forgotten if you have said - is your school air-conditioned?

Dorothy on 10/09/03 at 03:44 (133011)

Yes, isn't it amazing how much of a 'radar' site the back is? Until you get sort of 'trained' to feel it, you don't realize how tense it gets, how it just kind of seizes itself up, and so on...It's a very important skill to be able to concentrate and relax it; I'm still working on that skill.

Dorothy on 10/09/03 at 04:03 (133014)

I see now. Ok...well, mean or nice, mean or nice....Decisions! Decisions!

Suzanne, did you say your mother-in-law got married? Is there a story to this?? Have you had or are you going to have the wedding?

Aly on 10/09/03 at 08:31 (133029)

See, now I'm confused. I thought that the 'Other' category was for the political and debate-type stuff, and that the Social/Support category was for emotional support and friendly interactions (which are kind of linked I think - a place to go for comfort and escape). Wasn't that the whole point, to create a place where those enjoying spirited debate can go, and others can be on the Social/Support board? People were shying away from posting due to the debates.

I may be wrong, but I think if we just leave Social/Support as a place to go when we want real emotional support/advise/when we want to openly complain about our feet, it will only be used from time to time...the posts of 'Oh God, I can't take it anymore' do happen but there aren't that many...

ScottR, can you pls comment / clarify for all?

john h on 10/09/03 at 09:04 (133034)

Aly: I think you have it right. If you go to the Other Board you will see at the top of the page the purpose of that board. As you indicate the Social Board is more or less just what it's name implies. Not a place for debating but a place to find peace and comfort.and support.

Aly on 10/09/03 at 09:06 (133036)

Oh good, thanks for straightening me out. I'm only just starting my cup of tea for the morning, perhaps with a little caffeine I might have figured it out for myself. :)

Suzanne D. on 10/09/03 at 09:19 (133040)

I agree with you, Aly. I didn't mean to 'muddy the waters' any more, but I really just wanted to understand. In a post below by Scott about the boards being 'flopped', he said, '....please keep 'Social / Support' more closely related to heel pain from now on'. That is why I asked.

But since no more has been written about it, I guess we can come here and 'socialize', of course giving attention to anyone who needs to vent about their pain - as we always have tried to do in the past.

I hope you have a good day!

Suzanne D. on 10/09/03 at 09:25 (133043)

Yes, Dorothy, she was married last Saturday in Indiana. She has been a widow for 23 years, and her new husband has been for 6. They knew each other through church and are both 76 years old.

We didn't know until last Christmas that she had a special 'friend'. I knew something was up when she practically ran each morning to check her e-mail! He has a place in Texas where he lives each winter, and they e-mailed back and forth all last winter. He came to our daughter's wedding in April, and that was when we met him.

It was a special ceremony (Of course all weddings are special, aren't they?!) with my husband performing the ceremony, her other two sons bringing her down the aisle and her three daughters as bridesmaids. They were just as 'giggly' and teary-eyed as any newlyweds I have seen. :) My husband was the most nervous he has ever been in performing a ceremony, and he has performed many of them through the past 25 years. Of course, with family, it's always different!

Thanks for asking,

Aly on 10/09/03 at 09:25 (133044)

Yes, I got all muddled! But now that I get it, I think the new arrangement is a good one - I think it accomodates everyone here in a fair way. :)

Suzanne D. on 10/09/03 at 09:26 (133045)

Thanks, Carole. I e-mailed the 'expert' this morning, sending a copy to my principal and also the assistant principal. We shall see how he replies. I'll keep you all informed!

Suzanne D. on 10/09/03 at 09:32 (133049)

That would be nice, Dorothy!

Our school is new; we moved into it last January. In our old building, we had window units, but of course there is central air conditioning in this new building.

The problem, I think, is in the ventilation system and the design of the building. There is actually mold growing on the walls in some of the rooms! Half the rooms have no windows, and another building in the county (built about 6 years ago) which is built on the same plan, has terrible problems with mold.

After a 'big' meeting earlier this week, we received an e-mail stating that the problem was being addressed. We were told that raising the temperature in the building would decrease the humidity! I challenged that one (I know heat in the winter dries things out, but I also know about hot and humid KY weather! Making the temperature 78 instead of 72 won't lower the humidity - unless there is something I sure don't understand!) but was told that when the engineers explained it, it made sense, but it couldn't be explained to me. ?!?!

Oh, well, I'll let you all know what happens next!

john h on 10/09/03 at 10:23 (133074)

Suzzane we just closed down one school building for mold. They did not waste any time. They immediately closed it within a week of finding the mold. Serious stuff.

Scott R on 10/09/03 at 11:35 (133096)

ok, social support can be the 'nice' other category......i was just trying to avoid naming Other the 'politics and other mean stuff' board.

Dorothy on 10/09/03 at 14:56 (133134)

That is a horse of a different color, isn't it...the mold developing. Ventilation and removal of moisture.. keys to mold control. There must be more than simply raising the temp. to the engineer's plan because that doesn't make sense. I have some personal experience of Kentucky mold. We lived in a small rental house built on a concrete slab that had vents. Those vents had to be kept open in the summer. Well, it was a very hot Ky. summer and somehow the vents had not been opened. I did not even know about vents or those vents in particular, but I began to notice mold developing - and finally taking over. And it was everywhere. We had to get rid of everything we owned and we owned very little in those days. My husband had a great pair of Red Wing Wellingtons that he had worn for some years even though we were young newly marrieds then and those boots were green and fuzzy inside and out. It was traumatic. I became way too familiar with Clorox bleach and that, too, is not particularly healthful but is a good thing when you need it against certain things. When our landlady/landlord - very good people - learned of what had happened, they said: you have to open the vents. A hard lesson learned.
It's a lesson that could be applied to this website: you have to open the vents!

Dorothy on 10/09/03 at 15:05 (133138)

Oh, I LOVE this! 76 years old - e-mail - weddings! What a really alive kind of story. And your husband performing the ceremony! and her other children as attendants - it just sounds wonderful. I hope they are very happy together.

johnh on 10/09/03 at 15:49 (133172)

This is good: Paul Harvey today about a spinister who is having a large wedding with attendants and all at the church. She will marry herself. Said she has been giving wedding presents for 50 years and it is now payback time.

Dorothy on 10/09/03 at 18:21 (133269)

Good Grief! I say, find a charity. Find some kids who need something. But then, she didn't ask me, did she?