Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Will any New Balance work?

Posted by Sue G. on 10/08/03 at 19:40 (132927)

I want to get a pair of new balance walking shoes for my PF. Is any model ok, or should I look for specific models?

Re: Will any New Balance work?

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/08/03 at 22:37 (132980)

Sue:
Only certain models. Unless you have a specific need for a walking shoe, most people will often do better with a running shoe. Many, but not all patients with PF, benefit from a motion control running shoe such as the New Balance 1121.
Ed

Dorothy on 10/09/03 at 03:56 (133013)

Also, if you look on good websites for NB shoes, they will give you information about the shoes and what foot conditions they are recommended for. A couple of those sites are http://www.brnshu.com and http://www.newbalancecatalogcenter.com . The first site is one that I know gives specific information about the shoes and conditions. It's a place to start anyway as you gather information. Good luck.

Richard, C.Ped on 10/09/03 at 09:10 (133037)

If you go to a larger type shoe store...the bad thing is that usually the sales people have no idea how the shoe is made. I had a blast at our local Just for Feet store a while back with all my questions. Deer in headlights....hahahaha. Yes...I know thats mean..my wife informed me of that later..haha.

It really does depend on your foot type.

Remember to make sure that the shoe does not bend in the wrong place. You should hold the shoe at the heel counter, and push inward, or even try to bend the shoe in the middle. It should only bend at the ball...that is where your foot bends naturally.

My new favorites are Brooks. They are super lightweight and very comfortable (I am wearing them now....dress down Thursday haha). The downside is that they usually have a funky mix of colors.

Good luck!
Richard

Rose on 10/13/03 at 10:16 (133836)

I got a pair of New Balance 1121, as per Dr. Z's recommendation, and they are great. I have had the release surgery and have custom orthodics made from the cast method.