Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

INFALMMED NERVE IN FOOT

Posted by ERNIE LAROSA on 10/09/03 at 07:35 (133025)

I have been seen by a podiatrist and he stated i have a inflammed nerve, or nerve entrpment in the tarsal tunnel region. I have tried vioxx, heat, ice , orthotics, yet with no success. I've had this for about a month now. my podiatrist is hesitant of doing an injection in this area, beacuse he suggests i am only 30 and could be in pain the rest of my life if he hits the nerve. He says time will allow it to heal. The good thing is that i have no numbness tingling or sharp shooting pains , just localized pain below the ankle area. I had no traumatic injury that caused this, it developed when i taped my foot for a month to help suppoert my pf. in doing so the podiatrist said i compressd the nerve. I would appreciate any advice on this matter and was wondering if this could go away on its own? Is this possible to compress the nerve with the tape? Should I be staying off it completly, i can walk but it is aggravating. Any other posssible treatments he is not telling me? He wants to try ultrasound is this good?

thanks for listening.

Re: INFALMMED NERVE IN FOOT

BrianJ on 10/09/03 at 08:57 (133033)

Ernie --

You may want to see a neurologist and get a nerve conduction velocity (NCV)test. Also you may want to try the drug Neurontin, which is often good at calming nerve pain. Of course, resting the affected foot and icing the painful area may be your best short-term solutions.

PS, I am not a doctor, and I would suggest you seek a second opinion, as nerve issues are often hard to diagnose.

Carol S on 10/09/03 at 10:04 (133066)

I also have TTS with localized pain in the ankle & arch area. Also sharp pains at times when I stand too much with a numb heel. I also had ultrasound and PT for 4 months in 2001. This did wonders for awhile but now the pain and numbness are back with a vengence. From what I have read here I am very undecisive on having any kind of surgery. Go for the ultrasound. It does help but is not a cure. Good luck! Carol

Sharon W on 10/09/03 at 14:20 (133118)

Ernie,

Ultrasound has helped some people but it doesn't help everyone by any means. I take Vioxx and it can help but it doesn't work for everybody, either...

Most of the time people with this condition are not told to stay off of it completely, although occasionally in advanced cases the doctor will decide to put you in a cast to give it a rest for a while.

I think I would get a second opinion, if I were you. It worries me that your doc sounds so unsure of himself about doing injections around the nerve... is he young and inexperienced?

Sharon

Sharon W on 10/09/03 at 14:22 (133120)

PS: I should have added that I'm not a doctor, just another patient who has had tarsal tunel syndrome and knows what it's like...

Sharon

Carol D on 10/09/03 at 14:32 (133124)

Hi. My experience has been that it is important to get a diagnosis as to what may be causing the nerve entrapment (if that is what you have). In my case, I had to advocate for a year. Most tests did not reveal any abnormality. Finally, a foot and ankle MD ordered an MRI which showed a Schwanoma tumor. It was removed on June 5 and all of my nerve pain is gone. Good luck and keep getting as much information as you can.

Larry blanlot on 10/09/03 at 15:52 (133174)

Indeed carol that is what I try to tell them, simply to get off there lazy high horses and go down to there local clinic and fill up the tank with alittle more goat juice and get an exam from a real Docter. Such clowns are what we call a potato couch which means the dude is to lazy tied down to go to the clinic,,,,,,his problems will indeed get worse as times go on,,,,,,I gues it,s called old age suger plumps>>>>If you are busy don,t take or waste time responding to such messages,,,,let the people go seek there Docters,,,,,,it is not your concern,,,,,,,,,thanks

Re: Hmmmm.....

marie on 10/09/03 at 16:07 (133190)

!

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/09/03 at 18:51 (133288)

Ernie:

Was there any injury to the area?
A nerve conduction velocity test, as mentioned by BrianJ is your next step.
Ed

ERNIE LAROSA on 10/10/03 at 07:00 (133352)

Dr davis,

There was no injury to the area, as i stated i thinh i caused this by taping it for a month around this location, because of plantar facitis. My podiatrist does not want to inject in this area, because of risk of hitting the nerve and causing lifetime permanent pain. He said there is a 20% chance of causing permanent damage is he correct????????????

Re: sharon

ERNIE LAROSA on 10/10/03 at 07:04 (133353)

My podiatrist is in his fifties and has been doing this for 25 years.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/10/03 at 10:38 (133397)

Ernie:
I would place the chance at cauing such damage at less than 2%, unless your podiatrist is not confident in his technique. If he is not comfortable with the injection, don't push him. Ultrasound, iontophoresis and ice can work well but you have to be patient with that.
Ed