Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

deletion privileges, ScottR

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 10/09/03 at 10:01 (133065)

ScottR:

Thank you again for your efforts. We all breathed a sigh of relief that the infighting was over. Unfortunately, Judy is here stirring things up.

Yes, we like political controversy but not personal attacks and infighting. I don't know why some people cannot see the difference.
I request that the 'deletion' privileges of Judy be revoked unless she can act with sufficient dececny to delete her own post here. I think this matter needs to be closed ASAP.
Ed

Re: deletion privileges, ScottR

JudyS on 10/09/03 at 11:02 (133087)

No, Ed, I have always been quite succinct in my agreement with Scott's decision - all I ever really wanted was for political discussion to be off this board and I made that plain from the start. That had nothing to do with the people participating in them. Just as my history indicates I've pretty much never had an issue with anyone's person here until it seemed you continued to browbeat those who agreed with Scott originally.

I agree with you, it is out of line for a moderator, or anyone, to have taken such a mean-spirited stance as I did with you so I have followed your suggestion to delete. But may I point out that you didn't mind my having deleting privledges when you wanted me to delete the voices of those in favor of Scott's original request. Those who disagreed with you but not, as you claimed they had, with your politics.
I also agree with you, John, Dorothy and all others - I acknowledge that it is beyond time to let go so I'll do that now. I freely own my responsibility in this mess.
Unless of course you have to have the last word.

john h on 10/09/03 at 11:55 (133102)

And let us bury this forever and may the subject rest in peace. It is noon and I am starved. Remember that good old song by Hank Snow? 'I'm Moving On'. I may go to the club and beat up the punching bag and then I will really feel good. It is cloudy, rainy and dreary in Little Rock. Sounds like your part of the country Ed. I assume it is sunny and in the 80's in San Diego Judy.

Dorothy on 10/09/03 at 14:41 (133126)

I understand your position, Ed, and am not arguing with it but I do disagree with the privilege that any one participant here can delete a regretted post - when no one else has that privilege. UNLESS it is possible to request that one's regretted post be deleted and have that request be honored. Is that possible? Does it happen?

JudyS on 10/09/03 at 14:52 (133132)

Yes, Dorothy, it has happened and it's a reasonable request.
You're right also about just a few of us having the privledge to delete our own regretted posts. Having said that, each poster actually does have the ability to edit their own post so I suppose it could be 'edited' away. I'm not sure how it works - I think there's a command for it somewhere near the text box.
I'm not at all comfy with my own culpability here - I got to delete my own poopy post and I think you're right about that imbalance.
Having said that, and now understanding it, I'm committed to not letting it happen again.

Sharon W on 10/09/03 at 14:53 (133133)

Dorothy,

Like Dr. Ed, you can ASK someone politely to delete your post for you... that doesn't mean that you will get what you are asking for.

Just in case you don't know this, Dorothy, the people with the ability to delete posts are: Scott R, Judy S, Wendyn, John h, and Richard, CPed. No, I'm not a monitor, nor would I want to be. I agree that Marie would make a good one. Monitors are chosen by the webmaster, of course, and so far he has only chosen 'Oldtimers' -- people who have been here well over 2 years -- which does not include Marie or myself.

By the way, in this case I think what Dr. Ed is asking is to have his post deleted because it is in response to other posts that have been deleted.

Sharon

Sharon W on 10/09/03 at 14:56 (133135)

Judy,

Deleting one's own post is indeed possible, but only if you include your e-mail address when you post. I used to do that, but discovered, much to my displeasure, that it made me prey to SPAMMERS... so I've stopped posting my e-mail, and now I can't edit or delete my own posts anymore.

I'm sorry to bother you with these things.

Sharon

Sharon W on 10/09/03 at 15:01 (133136)

Dorothy,

I take that back... I was wrong... this is the thread where he was asking for monitor privilleges.

Sharon

Dorothy on 10/09/03 at 15:24 (133153)

I like the expression 'poopy post'. I've had a few gastrointestinal upsets myself here!

JudyS on 10/09/03 at 15:59 (133181)

bother? I sure don't perceive this as a bother - it's a good question. Is it possible to delete one's own post while using the email, as you've described, but insert spaces before and after the @ sign in the email?

Sharon W on 10/09/03 at 16:01 (133183)

No, because you you have to receive the e-mail message.

At least, that's the only way I KNOW of to do it.

Sharon

johnh on 10/09/03 at 16:03 (133188)

Dorothy: I have made some idiot post and never deleted them. Never even thoght to. Probably should have but it is like trying to put toohpaste back in a tube.

Sharon W on 10/09/03 at 16:06 (133189)

John,

You have the ability to put the toothpaste back into the tube, so why not do it??

Sharon
:)