Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Delete Request

Posted by Pauline on 10/09/03 at 16:15 (133193)

My first delete request.
I'm going to ask that Ed's reply to me be deleted for content, especially his use of the words 'so knock it off'. This not only sounds mean, but could be taken as a threat. For those reasons, I request that it be removed.

Re: Delete Request

Scott R on 10/09/03 at 16:18 (133195)

please everyone, whenever you refer to a post that needs my attention, copy (CTRL-C) and then paste (CTRL-V) the URL in the address line of your web browser to your post or email. For example:
bbv.cgi?n=133193

there

Pauline on 10/09/03 at 16:28 (133200)

Since I don't understand what you are saying Scott, I'll repost the item I'm asking be deleted.

Maybe someone with far better computer skills than I will take pity and get the message to you or those with delete power.

Here is the threatening post. I know of no other person threatend in such a manner especially another woman.

give it a rest! view thread
Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 10/09/03 at 12:55

Pauline:
Give it a rest!

I did not ask for this board. It was reached as a compromise. We are here to discuss issues, not personalities so knock it off.

For the umpteenth time: people CAN discuss political issues and current events without being mean spirited, without personalizing things and actually be NICE. Some just cannot accept this and if you can't, please don't participate and make things bad for those for those who enjoy a good conversation.
Ed

JudyS on 10/09/03 at 16:50 (133206)

Well Pauline I'm in a quandry. Was Ed's post more, or as much as, a personal attack than yours was? I guess I didn't think yours was and I guess I didn't think yours was any better or worse than Ed's. Is that clear as mud?
I'm in a quandary because I thought I read Scott saying that it was OK to be mean here. So I don't know why he deleted you. Perhaps Ed asked him to.
Ed said, I think, that it was a matter of personal attack - although I don't remember you naming names - did you? If yours was interpreted as such, then, using yours as a standard, perhaps so was his. I 'spose it's open to interpretation and I believe that's what Scott expects of moderators.
It's clear as mud to me but I'm afraid that, just as I would not have deleted yours, I would not have deleted his given Scott's instructions re: meanness. If, however, meanness was not allowed here, then, as a so-called moderator, I'd have asked both of you to tone it down. But then I'd be calling the kettle black, wouldn't I?
Scott actually said meanness was OK - does HE define meanness or does someone else?

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/09/03 at 16:56 (133209)

Judy:
No it is NOT okay to be mean here. This is not the 'fight' board or the 'argument' board. Perhaps ScottR needs to clarify that.

This board was split off the social board to create a place for those who wish to include current events or political topics in their discussion. It is to be treated the same as any board on this site and posters are to be treated with the same level of respect and dignity as ANY board on this site. Is that something you can agree to?
Ed

JudyS on 10/09/03 at 16:59 (133212)

Well shucks Ed - are those your guidelines or Scott's? Who do I take my orders from?

I know I know, I was wrong about what the SS board had been for also.

Re: For Dr. Ed

Sharon W on 10/09/03 at 17:02 (133214)

Dr. Ed,

Did you read what Scott wrote about that on the Social/Support board? Judy asked him that specific quesiton.

Sharon

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/09/03 at 17:11 (133223)

Judy:
It is not about taking orders. It is about how we are willing to treat each other.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/09/03 at 17:15 (133225)

Sharon:
I did and felt that ScottR implied that being 'mean' here was okay. I am not sure that that is what he really meant though. Perhaps he can clarify but all I can do is be optimistic and hope that we can appeal to the positive side of human nature. Emotions have been inflamed but, at some point, everyone needs to move on to better things. I cannot imagine that some want to make conflict a permanent state of affairs.
Ed

Sharon W on 10/09/03 at 17:20 (133228)

Well, that makes you a whole lot more optimistic and confident about the positive side of human nature than I am.

Sharon

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/09/03 at 17:26 (133233)

Sharon:
I am just hoping that some are still venting and will eventually calm down.
Ed

Dorothy on 10/09/03 at 17:57 (133259)

Me, too.
It could start to seem like there is an organized effort to make 'Other' into a constant harangue of Ed which would probably be designed to spoil the 'Other'. It is odd and tiresome. I don't understand these dynamics. I keep wanting to yell Grow UP! Get Over It! But that's rude.
Is Scott going to have to create another category of All Those Who Hate Someone Else Here or Hate Some Other Category Here post Here Category??
Or have people somehow confused Ed with Politics?
And I see that we have gone to pictures of animals anyway. So what was all the fuss and fury about? Who won what??

Sharon W on 10/09/03 at 18:11 (133264)

Dorothy,

Noone won anything, we all lost. Noone EVER wins when a group that has been important and productive to everyone polarizes into 'It's 'us' and 'them' and 'if you're not FOR us, you're AGAINST us''. That kind of mentality never PRODUCES anything, it only destroys things.

Sharon