Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

For Dorothy -- job exportation

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 10/09/03 at 18:14 (133266)

Dorothy:

I know how you feel about WTO issues.

I was in the locker room between cases a few days ago and caught a few minutes of Lou Dobbs on CNN. I just about fell off my seat on this one.

Lou had always supported NAFTA, 'free trade' but now the issue was the transfer of white collar jobs overseas, a newer trend. He acted very concerned. An economist assured Lou that for every dollar in salaries that we send overseas, we get $1.50 back in value. Lou did not seem to buy the explanation. Interesting -- he did not seem concerned about sending industrial jobs overseas a few years ago but now that job loss seemed closer to home, that no longer seemed like such a good idea.

One of my patients is a lead softwear engineer at Boeing. He told me that earlier this year that by the end of this year, 3/4 of the MIS dept. was to be laid off and the jobs transferred to Russia.

Ross Perot often quoted Henry Ford who paid his workers well. When Ford was asked why he paid such good salaries, he answered, so that there are those out there who can buy my cars.

I have to admit that the 'new' economics really has me in a quandry. Anyone convinced about the virtues of free trade is welcome to explain how we will be better off by exporting more and more jobs.
Ed

Re: For Dorothy -- job exportation

Dorothy on 10/09/03 at 18:35 (133278)

Ed ~ This is a topic that I really DO want to discuss as I think it is maybe THE most important thing going in the WORLD today, but I am going to have to delay participating because of (see post 'Away'). Be assured, it is a topic much on my mind. As you may recall, I do have my theories...

Sharon W on 10/09/03 at 18:39 (133281)

We will be looking forward to hearing them when you get back, then.

Sharon

marie on 10/09/03 at 19:00 (133294)

I think there is an echo in here.

Sharon W on 10/09/03 at 19:11 (133295)

Marie,

I don't know why I seem to be multi-posting so much... I have been ever since the new board was created.

Sorry...

Sharon
:-/

marie on 10/09/03 at 19:12 (133297)

I have had the same problem. There must still be a few glitches.:)