Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Walking cast for foot pain

Posted by Kathy on 10/09/03 at 18:32 (133277)

I have been wearing my cane walker(boot cast) for 2 weeks now. I had to go with the removable cast in order to drive to work. The first few days seemed to be going ok, but now back to the same shooting pains in my heal area. Especially exhausted by the end of a teaching day. I've been suffering with this foot pain off & on for about 6 years. Last 12 months have been the worst & I've tried all the conservative methods. My foot doc wanted me to try this before consulting a neurologist. I wanted to try the boot cast for about 6 weeks before the next step but the last few days have been very painful & depressing. Is there any special things I should be doing or avoiding while wearing the removable cast? Also should I be going for an MRI soon? Thanks for your advice. Kathy

Re: Walking cast for foot pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/09/03 at 18:38 (133280)

Kathy:
I understand why you went with the removable cast but a plaster or fiberglass molded cast does better for PF, in my opinion.

Are the shooting pains you describe the usual symptom that you have or something you are encountering only with the cast?
Ed

Dr. Z on 10/09/03 at 19:42 (133302)

Ed,
I will make a fiberglass slipper cast for patients that need to drive. It really holds the plantar fascia in place but they still can bend the ankle. If the pain doesn't stop with this casting level I then go to the below the knee fiberglass

Kathy on 10/10/03 at 18:06 (133538)

I have experienced the same pains with my walking shoes/orthotics but usually at the end of a work day. I am now having pain early in the morning & throughout the day. I thought I might be walking too much on the cast at work (I have to walk my 5th graders to lunch,recess, music, bus lines, etc) plus I'm on my feet all day in the classroom. My Dr. thought I might have some nerve damage when he prescribed the walking boot & wanted me to wear it the 6 week period before running any tests. So far after 2 weeks, the pain is still here & I find myself getting depressed about not being able to enjoy normal activities. I'm considering trying to get a MRI or some type diagnostic test.

Cathy D. on 10/12/03 at 16:44 (133761)

I have been recently diagnosed with a heel spur on my left foot. The foot doctor I went to decided to put a cast on my leg from my toes to about two inches below my knee. I have to wear this for 4 weeks. Everyone I have asked has never heard of this before and this makes me very nervous. My
heel hurts off and on with this on. I have had it on for 4 days. I was just wondering if you have ever heard of this before for a heel spur and if so does it work to remove the spur.

Dr. Z on 10/12/03 at 18:06 (133768)

Hi Cathy
Casting the foot and ankle is a method for resting your heel pain. It doesn't remove the spur. It can rest the plantar fascia which is probaby what is causing your heel pain. The problem with casting is that it can leave you will decrease ankle range of motion and you will need to have some home stretching and or physical therapy. Read the heel it will educate you about heel pain, the causes, all type of method of treatment. Feel free to ask an additional questions

Rose on 10/13/03 at 09:58 (133833)

When I was using the boot cast before surgery and took it off to drive it made my foot worse. After the surgery it was impossible to drive for a long time, and it still is had on the foot if I drive very long. So I thinkj that driving really is hard on the fascia. That was in an automatic car. There was no way I could drive our stick shift with any heel pain at all, as it really made the foot a lot worse. So if there is any way to drive with that boot I think you foot might be happier. Good luck with this. Stay in touch.