Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The Pope

Posted by Sharon W on 10/09/03 at 20:05 (133304)

As you probably know, he has advanced Parkinsons' disease. At this point, he is still able to speak, at least enough to BEGIN to give his speeches (usually someone helps him deliver the rest of them) but at this rate the time may come, soon, when he is unable to do so. At that point, considering that Parkinsons' disease can also affect mental functioning, it may begin to be difficult to determine the extent to which he is still 'of sound mind'.

This thing is, as long as he is still 'of sound mind,' he is still official and acting pope, so this is a very important thing to be able to determine. Beloved though he is (of course), it will be a difficult time for the Catholic church, if he is unable to perform his duties and yet still must be assumed to be of sound mind.

Parkinsons' is SUCH a tragic disease...

Sharon

Re: The Pope

marie on 10/09/03 at 21:14 (133307)

He has been a wonderful Pope. It seems like it was just yesterday that he was selected. Such a big deal it was to have a Polish Pope. It will be very hard for the church when he goes. The Catholic church has had such a hard time here in this country lately. It's sad that we have had a few priests who have abused their position to gain access to young children. I am not sure who would be next in line. I don't stay that up on church politics.

Parkinson's really is a tragic desease.

John H on 10/09/03 at 21:38 (133311)

I think he speaks over 20 languages.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/09/03 at 23:08 (133324)

Interesting analysis of the current situation at the Vatican:

http://www.stratfor.info/Story.neo?storyId=223301

Ed