Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

You might be a leftist if......

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 10/10/03 at 00:27 (133341)

You might be a leftist if.....

http://www.frontpagemag.com/articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=10210

Ed

Re: You might be a leftist if......

Dorothy on 10/10/03 at 00:43 (133344)

False and insidious dichotomies. This is destructive polarization. I hear this kind of inane thinking all the time from certain people who have a forum to spout from: Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter - people of that mindset. Not really conservative intellectuals - just polarizers. They almost always speak in complete generalizations: 'those liberals..' 'their side..' and the like. That Hannity dim-wit always says 'their side...'
Mindless twit-speak. What is particularly insidious about them is that Hannity and Limbaugh are extremely wealthy, yet they love nothing more than advocating the eliminating of taxation and seeming to align themselves with 'the little people.' I really, truly dislike them and maybe Hannity the most - Limbaugh at least has some humor and some good music. I end up with Hannity on the radio at night sometimes because nothing else comes in at night on my radio and it is, contrarily, entertaining while I am doing a chore I don't like. Plus he gets me fired up and I'm telling him off while I clean up the kitchen or something. In any case, the two of them have virtually taken over all commercial radio. And public radio's reception goes to zero at night. Ah well, I gotta get off this computer tonight!

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/10/03 at 00:56 (133347)

Dorothy:
I thought I would get away with it because you were taking off ;) ;)
There is no sneaking around you. I am sure that one can find the counterpart to this somewhere. Keep in mind that Rush calls himself an entertainer first and his job is to poke fun, albeit at liberals. Mario Cuomo was a good speaker and an intellectual but he was too serious and his show did not have entertainment quality.

You may enjoy shortwave radio if you really want to here a lot of different opinions. It is a bit time consuming to track down the broadcasts but a lot of the newer models allow you to lock in certain frequencies and times. I used shortwave more when I had the time to search for the frequencies with interesting stuff; now I largely listen to radio only during my commute.
Ed

Dorothy on 10/10/03 at 01:09 (133349)

Yes, I've thought about short-wave and plan to look into it. I love radio. My husband and I both love radio. He used to be a ham - or maybe once a ham, always a ham.
Not a Bill Clinton type ham. A radio type ham. That's an interesting hobby but one that is dying out. He did it with morse code; now they hardly use that anymore. Even now, in a flood or hurricane, etc. it's the hams that so often 'save the day.' He let it drop sometime back.
Radio used to be such a fabulous medium and still is in some places and from some sources. NPR (that bane of conservatives) is still pretty doggone good for stimulating talk radio. But the dominators, Hannity and Limbaugh, are mind-numbing. I rarely watch television and don't have cable or satellite dish, but I am a nut for the radio and the internet and for reading. There - there's a whole mind-numbing slew of information about ME! Now, I really, really am closing down for the night. Post away, Ed. I'm really gone now.

nancy s. on 10/10/03 at 07:49 (133361)

good morning.

dorothy nailed the qualities of this link admirably. i add two more: (1) juvenile and (2) hypocritical/doublestandard.

i can't think why anyone would try to find its 'other side' counterpart. both would be equally mindless and useless. (oh, two more!)

nancy

Sharon W on 10/10/03 at 09:36 (133384)

It's called, 'You might be a Redneck if...'

Max K on 10/10/03 at 10:55 (133403)

Dorothy, you use the term 'destructive polarization', and you say that some of the conservative talk-radio hosts are polarizers.

So Rush and Hannity exaggerate the difference between liberals and conservatives, to the point of distortion. Is this what you are saying?

Okay. So where would I find a good description or characterization of the two different ideologies (liberalism and conservatism) that DOES NOT contain such exaggeration or distortion?

Max

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/10/03 at 11:29 (133417)

Max:
The answer is probably in textbooks and scholarly publications. There is a large element of humor in this so I would not characterize it necessarily as 'destructive.' This may start a controversy but it does seem that many conservatives have an easier time laughing at themselves than do liberals. Sharon brought up 'You might be a redneck if...' which most conservatives find humorous.
Ed

Sharon W on 10/10/03 at 11:32 (133421)

Dr. Ed,

That was kind of my point. Most (but not all of course) conservatives will laugh at humor poking fun at conservative foibles.

Sharon

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/10/03 at 11:47 (133426)

Sharon:

I think that may be part of the reason that some political discussions get overheated. Some of the more 'ardent' sounding posts are partially tongue in cheek but if readers take them as being totally serious, they will get angry. I make no claims to totally understanding Peter because I don't know him personally but he has an 'acid' wit that I find funny.
I have not read all of his posts so I realize there was one or two that may have gone too far.
Ed

Sharon W on 10/10/03 at 11:56 (133428)

I will avoid discussing Peter.

Sharon

john h on 10/10/03 at 14:17 (133452)

Sharon: Peter who? Do you think Peter was possible an imposter? We have had a couple of people like Peter appear before on the board. One of our great imposters of all time was a lot of fun for us. Under the name of Hewi Lewi the imposter posted incredable well written humor. We were all trying to play Sherlock Holmes and figure out who it was. Finall Scott exposed her as he had her IP address and could identify her. It was the very talented Barb who I am sorry to say is no longer with us.

Sharon W on 10/10/03 at 14:21 (133454)

John,

Yes, I've heard about that... but that was a game, being done for fun, and as you said, everyone seemed to enjoy it. I wish I'd had a chance to know Texas Barb, especially since we're in the same state!

Oh, well. She probably got better and moved on, like so many others, and that's not all bad!

Sharon

john h on 10/10/03 at 14:32 (133459)

Ed: So far we have not had any political discussion get out of hand although we have people from all sides of issues here. This is as it should be. I think the two boards works out just fine. I post to all the boards and enjoy the topics on the Social Board also. I am also happy to come here to discuss some issues that cannot be discussed on the social board. Some people disagree with my view that this is a win win for everyone. I do not look at this board as representing one group and the social board as representing another group. That would be devisive. Just as we have an ESWT board, a Ask The Doctors Board, etc. it is just another board where all can come if they so choose. We just do not need an us and them attitude. There has been some great discussions on cats on the Social Board. I love cats so join in. I am very interested in the California election and what it will bring and now can come here to discuss that. There are some good post on the ESWT at this time as Dr Rompe a renowned espert on ESWT has been posting. I think Scott's website is one of the best sites I visit. It is certainly the most fun as I feel I know the people here.

Max K on 10/10/03 at 14:33 (133460)

Well this is what I found so far:

a CONSERVATISM FAQ:

http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/chris.holt/home.informal/lounge/politics/conservativism/#21

a LIBERALISM FAQ:

http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/chris.holt/home.informal/lounge/politics/liberalism.html

Does anybody think that these characterizations are distorted or exaggerated or indistinct?

Max

Sharon W on 10/10/03 at 15:04 (133478)

John,

The tension and hostility does seem to be gone -- or at least, staying at bay. But I don't really see any reason why these discussions should get out of hand, since we're all HERE primarily to discuss and debate; there are no resentful nonparticipants.

And that's a very nice feeling.

I'm glad you have been able to visit both boards freely, John, and find a welcome in both places. I realize that the group on the Social board have always been your friends and it would be very sad if that friendship were lost because of this.

Sharon

john h on 10/10/03 at 15:08 (133479)

It has been a year since I talked to Barb.She really had PF problems very bad and toddlers to deal with at the same time. She is also very very bright. When I was at Dr. Z's one time he removed a heelspur from her foot. That night we all went to dinner and Barb was on crutches. The great guy I am I helped her in and out of the car and to the resturant while Judy and Nancy N rushed out of the car to the bar. Barb may have had some literary background. She sure wrote with a flare of someone that did. Her husband graduated from eith West Point or the Naval Academy and she lives near Dallas at my last contact. I still have her address and will see if she is still about..

Re: Don't forget the third option ... Libertarian

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/10/03 at 15:31 (133483)

Good links Max. Will need to read them more thoroughly when time permits.

http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/chris.holt/home.informal/lounge/politics/libertarianism.html#17

I was pleased to see that they had a link for the Libertarian point of view.
Ed

Re: Don't forget the third option ... Libertarian

Sharon W on 10/10/03 at 15:54 (133493)

THAT one I wil have to sit down and read more thoroughly, myself. Thanks.

Sharon

Pauline on 10/10/03 at 15:57 (133494)

I don't understand why John would lose any friends on any board. I thought he kind of makes his own comfort. Didn't think he felt uncomfortable anywhere and didn't think others felt uncomfortable where ever he posted either.

Sharon W on 10/10/03 at 16:01 (133498)

Good

John H on 10/10/03 at 16:02 (133499)

As you know Sharon I tend to be Conservative in my views. Sort of comes with a lifetime in the Military. Growing up in the South at the time I did there was no such thing as a republican. Do not think I ever hear of one or saw one. The aunts and uncles I have still living would not vote for a Republican if he was the second coming. I really did not get engaged in politics or even care until I was in mid 30's. I voted for Kennedy and bought into the Camelot deal. I think by todays standards he could almost be a Republican. Nancy N is very much a Liberal but we manage to be friends and avoid the things we disagee on and enjoy the things we do agree on like Mac Computers. I think in time The Social Board may have recovered and we could have gone back to peace and harmony had not subject matter been limited. People forget we have had some tremondous disagreements on the social board since its inception and some of these were by no means nice but as with most things what ever the subject was it passed and we moved on to new subjects. Politics was just the latest subject that created the fury. I still maintain that politics in itself was not the real factor. Other things at work here. Our current operations seems fine to me. We have brought up some interesting subjects like changing the constitution, the Manchuring Candidate, California Politics. I enjoy talking about these things and hearing the views of those from both sides. No one has gone crazy nor do I think they will. As that old gosepel song goes 'There Will be Peace In The Valley'.

Sharon W on 10/10/03 at 16:04 (133500)

John,

My dad always loved that hymn more than any other

Sharon

marie on 10/10/03 at 16:52 (133513)

I suppose your a right winger when you advocate President Bush's cut in VA benefits while our young men and woman are currently fighting a war under his direction and creation. Slap in the face.

marie on 10/10/03 at 16:56 (133514)

Oh that's such a nice thing to say. John you're such a cool person.

marie

marie on 10/10/03 at 16:58 (133516)

Rush Limbaugh is in it for the money as he has a healthy drug habit. Another way, way out there conservative outed. Just let me gloat a little here. :>

Pauline on 10/10/03 at 17:03 (133518)

Marie,
Is it really a cut in VA benefits or just no additional spending? How does the actual bill read?

Washington's budgets often report cuts when they really mean no additional spending or they didn't get the increase they wanted so they call it a cut.

I wish our government would have to account for every dime spent. So much waste on useless things and overrides that go unaccounted for, yet few Americans are upset by any of it.

I don't know one household that could get away with their type of budgeting.

Pauline on 10/10/03 at 17:14 (133519)

Found this. In what area are the cuts to the VA taking place.

Highlights of FY 2004 VA appropriations bill

Federal funding for veterans' benefits will top $90 billion in 2004, an increase of over $3 billion from 2003 and $600 million more than requested by President Bush.

Sharon W on 10/10/03 at 17:25 (133527)

I think that is disgusting, too.

Sharon

Sharon W on 10/10/03 at 17:27 (133529)

I know that they get by with calling it a 'surplus' when what is really is, is that they have managed to pay the interest on the national debt and still have money left over!

Sharon

marie on 10/10/03 at 17:52 (133534)

http://www.join-snafu.org/news/vetcuts032303.htm

http://www.onlisareinsradar.com/archives/001081.php

http://democrats.com/elandslide/petition.cfm?campaign=veterans

I hope this will help you understand what I was talking about. There are many more articles on the topic. all ya have to do is type in 'cuts in veterans benefits' at your favorite search engine.

marie

marie on 10/10/03 at 18:34 (133544)

http://www.dccc.org/press/newsreleases//2003-06-17.html

Here is one more article. Cuts to military families and education. Republican led.

John H on 10/10/03 at 18:41 (133545)

Rush has more money than he knows what to do with. As to his addiciton to pain meds I can see that. He had back surgery and I am familiar with that pain. If I could have found a med that worked I would have been addicted. I think some here with PF would take about anything if it would stop PF pain. I have never found a pain killer prescription or other wise that would dull PF pain.

John H on 10/10/03 at 18:54 (133549)

It is amazing how politicans can call a cut when in fact they may be saying the increase will be less than was previously stated. they distort things in a big way. both sides.

marie on 10/10/03 at 19:24 (133556)

I didn't see anything worded like that in the articles I provided...I think the word used was cut.

marie

marie on 10/10/03 at 19:55 (133560)

I also understand pain. The question here is how he came out. It's unfortunate that it took his housekeeper to get him back into Rehab. Sorry but this is a wealthy man who can I'm sure get the best help available. Do I see him as a lowlife drug addict...no not really. I don't see him as being an honest man. Of course this is no big shock to me.

marie

Dr. Z on 10/11/03 at 07:50 (133592)

Hi John you have just said it ALL!!!

John H on 10/11/03 at 10:11 (133602)

Marie Rush will still have the same problem we all have after rehab and that is pain. If oxycotin relieved his pain and he understands the risk of side effects and addiction should he be allowed to contine with the drug? I do not pretend to know the answer to that. If I was in a wheelchair and in chronic pain with PF I might personally opt for what ever drug would work. I am not sure an addition to oxycoytin is any worse than being forced to go on a life time of steriods for arthritis. As you know the side effects of these can be devistating over the years and you cannot just suddenly quit them. We have a way to go in this country on the treatment of pain. We have come a long way but still to many people suffering needlessly. I think many Doctors would prescribe more and better pain meds except they are monitored by the FDA and can be drug into court for over prescribing. I frequently take 1 tablet of 50mg of Ultram. A non addictive drug with few side effects. No drowsiness and non narcotic. I still do not know if it help much at all. One of my Doctors was reluctant to give me a refill as he said it had a street value and people were selling their prescritptions on the street. The Doc was on vacation and I saw his partner a very experienced lady. Her attitude was you do what you have to so that the pain can be controlled. She said that I should not be affraid to take 4 of these tablets a day for as long as it takes as there was little chance of any problems. Just run a blood test every six months. She wrote out a 12 month prescription. Pain in itself effects our immune system, mental health, and quality of life so one needs to measure the risk of addiction against just laying in bed in depression the rest of your life. I come from a generation that tends not to want to take drugs. Even at my age I am embarrased somewhat to ask for a pain reliever. We tended to suffer in silence (like a cat). I have never taken more than t tablets of the mild Ultram as it does not provide much relief and I do not like the sleepy feeling of narcotic type drugs so for me drug thearpy has not worked. President Kennedy had a very bad back problem and some of the recent writings indicate he took heavy doses of narcotic drugs to reduce his pain and function. When I had a kidney stone several years ago I was in the worst pain of my life. My Doctor ordered a morophine drip. He left and the hospital staff waited a solid 6 hours before I was provided with relief. By then it was almost time for my lithotripsy. At that time I would have drank a bottle of morophine if I could have got my hands on it. I did not care about addiction or anything else. I just wanted some relief.

John H on 10/11/03 at 10:43 (133609)

I think the question is still open to debate is will he be better after rehab and off drugs but back in chronic pain? Which is worse? If the pain is really bad and the drug stopped the pain what is the answer? Would anyone deny Christophere Reeves any drug he could get his hands on if it helps him and he wants it. I do not know how people like him and Steven Hawkins carry on? I think the fact that he is Rush Limbaugh should be very separate issue from his pain and drug problem as the pain problem can and does effect all of us on this board. Pain is very non political.

marie on 10/11/03 at 18:55 (133658)

I understand the need for better chronic pain treatment. I understand that chronic pain can and does warp your mental health. I do wish limbaugh, as I said in an earlier post, the best of luck. But I do not see Limbaugh as a victim...not one bit. He also doesn't want anyone to make him out to be a role model for kicking it. Pharmacists and patients on oxicontin have been robbed and murdered for that drug. Purchasing it illegally only contributes to the crime. I know many many people who have been on oxicontin who are 100 times worse than Limbaugh who have not continued to purchase the drug illegally after they were wheaned off it. Those people are the real role models....even Limbaugh made statements to that effect.

We live in a society where 'it's never anyone's fault.' I do appreciate Limbaugh's frankness about how his behavior should not be condoned under any circumstance. There is a need for pain mangement and I hope that we continue to study chronic pain for the sake of all who really need it.

marie

Re: Shortwave radio vs. the net

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/12/03 at 14:26 (133750)

Dorothy:
I love shortwave radios but, quite frankly, it is much easier to find foreign news on the net --re: my response to Lari about the foreign press.
Unless, one really likes spending the time searching for broadcasts (it is a hobby for some). Shortwave is time consuming in terms of finding when and where to look for broadcasts and then finding the English language broadcasts and the times they are on. With the net: do a search and you can go directly to the country you want and search for the subject you want.
ed