Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pet Pics- My 2 Fila Ripper and Slasher

Posted by Peter R on 10/10/03 at 09:35 (133383)

http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3535e91459c

Re: Pet Pics- My 2 Fila Ripper and Slasher

marie on 10/10/03 at 10:42 (133398)

What beautiful dogs. Are they Mastifs (not sure how to spell that) . We have a client that has two the same colors as yours. They bring them in once a year for a photo session.

Are these the dogs that run wild on your property? I bet they love the woods.

marie

Peter R on 10/10/03 at 21:36 (133574)

They are pretty much on the loose but are able to get into the garage when they want too. The were bred to hunt Jaguar in South America and there names fit them very well. The ancestry is Mastiff, Bloodhound, Bulldog and Portugeuse herd dog but these two had some Great Dane added about 2 generations back so they are a little bigger than the average Fila Brasiliero. You don't want them in your house much because when they shake their heads they let loose tons of sticky slobber and they do that a lot. Two years ago I found a black bear skeleton and I suspect that the dogs killed it.

Re: What's the deal about the pet pictures??

Necee on 10/11/03 at 01:07 (133586)

I have some pictures of my pets that I'd love to share.

Necee

marie on 10/11/03 at 06:56 (133587)

During the last two weeks we discussed having a photo club. I surprised so many folks even noticed. Mostly just for fun and sharing since so many have digital cameras now. Some are new and some are very experienced....all are welcome to participate. Lari suggested pets be the first topic. We thought it might be a nice. So many folks that come to this board are stuck in the house and it is fun to share.

I hope you will join us. We don't have a topic for next week.

marie

marie on 10/11/03 at 08:47 (133596)

Wow they took on a bear. They are beautiful. How old are your dogs? My understanding is that large dogs don't have as long of a life span than smaller ones. Are they from the same litter?

marie

Peter R on 10/11/03 at 09:42 (133599)

I only suspect that they killed the bear- I found the carcass partially eaten and scattered- It wasn't a big bear- probably about 150# based on a hunter friends estimate. Young enough so that it probably didn't die on it's own- might have been wounded by someone in the area that caught it near their house and that made it easy for the dogs if they caught it alive. However, they were bred to hunt jaguar.They do bring down deer quite often although less frequently lately as the deer have learned to steer clear of the area. They are not the same litter- different parents totaly but both from stock bred with Great Dane. You can see more of the Great Dane in Slasher than Ripper. Ripper is 4 1/2 yrs. old Slasher is a few month older. They will probably die from their wild life much sooner than they would if they lived a domesticated life. They are really wild animals who tolerate me and the guy who looks after the place when I'm away. After hat lady was killed in California by the pair of Fila's my lawyer told me that I should get rid of them before it happens here but the only way to do that is to put them down and I wont do that. So I post lots of warning signs and the only problem will be if they wander off my property and get into trouble that way. So far I haven't had any reports of them being seen on my neighbors property. They could get into trouble( shot) if they get caught by conservation cops bringing down deer in the state land next to me.

wendyn on 10/11/03 at 11:08 (133613)

Peter those are some BIG dogs!!

JudyS on 10/11/03 at 15:44 (133638)

Necee, if you want to email them to me I can put them up on Shutterfly.

Dr. Z on 10/12/03 at 09:33 (133711)

Judy,
I tried to place my pictures on Shutterfly but for some reason I can't do it. I don't think my pictures are in J-peg format.

JudyS on 10/12/03 at 14:31 (133751)

Dr. Z - Marie has described the process perfectly. Here's another idea in case you don't have an actual photo editing program like Photoshop.

You said you have your photos in an email format but I'm not sure what that means. Most photos email in jpeg. However, I assume, then, that you know where the photos are on your computer?

After you follow Marie's directions about saving to a jpeg format, and if you don't have a photo editing program, then go to Start, Programs, Accessories, Paint. Open Paint.

Go to File in upper left, click on it, select 'Open'. When the Open window opens, navigate it until you get to your saved photos, then open a photo - it may be huge, just as Marie has indicated. If it is then click on 'Image' in the menu at the top, then click on 'stretch/skew'. In that ss box, where the horizontal and vertical dimensions show 100%, change that 100% to 40%. Then click OK - the photo will reduce to a very manageable size.

To save it's new size, go to File in the upper left of that same paint window that your reduced photo is in, click Save As. When that window opens, change the current name of your photo to a new one such as 'PhotoSmall', or whatever. Then it'll be saved in the same file as the larger photo. (Although I tend to save things to my Desktop until I'm done using them).

Well, having said all that, if your photos are already emailable, you can choose, if you like, to email them to me and I can put them up on Shutterfly.