Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Yes, Sharon, that's it!

Posted by Suzanne D. on 10/10/03 at 17:17 (133522)

Polymyositis IS the name of the disease my friend has been diagnosed with. Thank you so much for the links. I will look at them as soon as I type this message to you. I started a new thread since your response to me was at the bottom of the page; I didn't want you to miss my thanks.

I know it was a really 'out there' question for you. I felt sort of silly after I posted it, but I was just so worried about her last night, and you came to my mind because of all your knowledge.

I talked again to the friend who told me about the diagnosis to get the name straight. Our friend has undergone a muscle biopsy and is getting steroids through an IV, I believe. Her legs and arms are affected, and the whole thing began just about a month ago with her waking up with pain in her hands. Scary...

Thank you again for taking the time to help me. I appreciate it, Sharon.

Suzanne :)

Re: Yes, Sharon, that's it!

Sharon W on 10/10/03 at 17:31 (133530)

Suzanne,

It IS a scary disease. I thought of it, because it is more likely to put people in the hospital than a lot of other muscle diseases.

I hope your friend's friend will be OK. If you hear an update, I'd be interested to know how he/she did.

Sharon

Re: Yes, Sharon, that's it!

Suzanne D. on 10/10/03 at 20:42 (133567)

Thank you, Sharon. And I was confusing talking about the 'friend who told me' and the 'friend who is sick'. Sorry. Actually, they are both my very good friends. We taught together for several years on the same team at the first school where I worked. Susie, who is sick, and I took all our graduate classes together, and our children stayed at the same daycare. We still kept in touch when I changed schools; the last time I saw her was at my daughter's wedding in April. She looked good and felt fine.

I read the information on the two site you gave me and thank you again. It worries me as it IS a scary disease, as you said. And one line in one of the articles - 'The probable outcome is usually worse if there is chest involvement.' - was particularly troubling as I was told that she is congested, has had a cough for awhile and had a chest x-ray that showed 'spots'.

I hope to talk with her soon. Thank you for your concern and interest.

Suzanne