Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

More medical marijuana news -- effective for nerve pain

Posted by Sharon W on 10/10/03 at 20:32 (133564)

I'm trying not going to get carried away with listing URLs here, but I can't resist posting this story.

'Hannover, Germany: Administration of the CT-3 cannabinoid significantly reduces chronic pain in humans compared to placebo, according to the results of clinical trial data published in the current issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA).'

'The results of the study indicate that 'CT-3 may be an effective analgesic for poorly controlled resistant neuropathic pain,' researchers at the Hannover Medical School in Germany concluded. Neuropathic pain is often resistant to standard pain medications, including opioids.'

Those quotes come from the first source; the second source is the abstract from the original JAMA article, which of course is much more technical.

http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=5775

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/290/13/1757

Sharon

Re: More medical marijuana news -- effective for nerve pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/10/03 at 20:48 (133570)

Sharon:
If the active ingredient can be isolated, modified and patented for profit one may see a different perspective on this.
Ed

Sharon W on 10/10/03 at 21:11 (133572)

Dr. Ed,

I sure hope so!

Of course, you know my stance on this. This is one time when I am all in favor of the drug companies making a profit on something!

Sharon

Rick R on 10/13/03 at 07:38 (133815)

Ok send in the feds but I'd rather see me allowed to grow it in my back yard.

Rick

Richard, C.Ped on 10/13/03 at 13:14 (133860)

Why do I have the munchies all of a sudden.....
Richard

john h on 10/14/03 at 13:27 (133971)

Richard: it is near Halloween. Try some Gummy Bears. No fat!

Richard, C.Ped on 10/14/03 at 14:15 (133978)

to much sugar. haha