Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ice or heat for for tts??

Posted by speranza on 10/11/03 at 18:18 (133651)

whats better to use ice or heat?

Re: ice or heat for for tts??

Pam S. on 10/11/03 at 18:48 (133657)

I am not a doc but ice is used to reduce imflammation and has often felt good for me. If my foot is burning, I have gotten relief from contrast foot bath. First, place your foot in warm water, then cold water, alternate this several times, always end with the cold water.

Many people have recently been saying heat feels great to their feet. I believe if you have inflammed tendons, ice is best but I do not know what your situation is with your TTS. Good luck, Pam

Sharon W on 10/11/03 at 21:12 (133675)

Pam covered it pretty well but, I would add this: if it looks swollen to you, or FEELS like it's swollen even though it isn't, or feels 'hot' even if it isn't hot to the touch, then ice will probably make it feel better. But be sure not keep the ice on for more than 20 minute in an hour and don't put the ice directly on your skin; put it in a tight ziploc bag or a special ice bag of some kind, and either wear a sock or use a thin towel (like a kitchen towel) as a barrier and to absorb condensation from the ice.

Personally, I like to use Carole's solution: frozen peas. Keep a special package in the freezer, just for your foot, that you (of course) never eat, and just pull it out whenever you need it, 'ice' with it for 20 minutes, then put it back in. The peas won't leak like regular ice and they are nice and round -- no sharp little edges to poke at sensitive tissues.

The contrast baths are GREAT and they always worked pretty well for me... but some people have said they didn't do a thing for them, so I guess everybody is different.

Cold weather always got to me, it seemed to make my TTS worse, and heat helped a LOT when that happened, so I guess it just depends. I think the best answer probably is, use whatever FEELS good to you!

Re: Well said, Sharon

Pam S. on 10/12/03 at 00:02 (133688)

Hi Sharon:
That is interesting what you say about cold weather making TTS worse. I have always thought that and boy do we have our share of it here in Chicago. I am so much better in the summer. As I think about it, the warm water is what I crave in the winter months. However,if my arch is really bothering me ice seems to help.

I do not know if I mentioned this to you but I went to see the female orth foot/ankle I liked again a few weeks ago. She basically said the TTS could very well have come back. She gave me a new prescription for orthodics and that is about all I remember from the visit. I have been wanting to ask you what would I gain by repeating my NCV/EMG tests if I am l00 percent positive I would never do that surgery again. Is there a benefit to knowing how damaged the nerve is or how entraped it is etc.
Just wondering what you think. I feel like I know as much as these docs now that I am reading this board. She did not suggest repeating the test.
She also said she would never do surgery on me for this again.
Just wondered what you thought,Sharon.

I am not planning to get the orthodics. My feet are just too sensitive for them. I bought the Power Steps but they hurt one foot. Just call me TENDER FOOT. I am clipping along pretty well except for a few days out of the week. I am really accepting things but I guess we are all fighters and hate to GIVE UP.

Is your neuropathy worse in the winter or in colder weather?

I have been thinking of you and I saw on another post that you are plugging away slowly with your meds change etc.

This ended up longer than I had planned... Take care, Warmly, Pam

Re: Well said, Sharon

Sharon W on 10/12/03 at 11:14 (133730)

I guess the only thing you would stand to 'gain' by repeating the EMG/NCV would be confirming or ruling out the female orhtho's impression that the TTS could have come back. You are right that if it HAS come back and you are not considering surgery, that information is of less importance... but there are other treatments for TTS besides surgery as you know.

Besides, there are other conditions besides TTS that and EMG/NCV might bring to light. For example, you might have developed DISTAL TTS, or nerve entrament further down the posterior tibial nerve in the area where it branches into smaller nerves. Or the test might show up a problem at your spine. Or, you might have (shudder!) developed RSD, or peripheral neuropathy, or something like that... none of which is likely, of course, but there are many things besides just TTS that those nerve conduction tests can pick up on.

In my opinion there is never such a thing as too much knowledge about what is going on in your own body. (But, there may not be anything you can do about it, either...!)

(Besides, you know how I feel about those tests!! I understand why you or anyone might not want to repeat them...)

As far as my neuropathy, etc. is concerned, I've been meaning to e-mail you anyway, Pam, and I would rather discuss it that way.

Marty on 10/13/03 at 12:51 (133858)

I like to use the gel ice packs you buy J, contrast baths work well for me if my feet aren't hot from doing yard work etc.