Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The best lawyer story of all time. It is all true

Posted by Dr. Z on 10/12/03 at 18:09 (133769)

Best Lawyer Story Ever
Best Lawyer Story Ever!! This is the best lawyer story of the year, decade and probably the century. A Charlotte, NC, lawyer purchased a box of very rare and
expensive cigars, and then insured them against fire among other things. Within a month having smoked his entire stockpile of these
great cigars and without yet having made even his first premium payment on the policy, the lawyer filed a claim
against the insurance company. In his claim, the lawyer stated the cigars were lost 'in a series of small fires.' The insurance company refused to pay, citing the obvious reason: that the man had consumed the cigars in the normal fashion. The lawyer sued ... and won! In delivering the ruling the judge agreed with the insurance company that the claim was frivolous. The Judge stated nevertheless, that the lawyer held a policy from the company in which it had warranted that the cigars were insurable and also guaranteed that it would
insure them against fire, without defining what is considered to be unacceptable fire, and was obligated to pay the claim.
Rather than endure a lengthy and costly appeal process, the
insurance company accepted the ruling and paid $15,000.00 to
the lawyer for his loss of the rare cigars lost in the 'fires.' NOW FOR THE BEST PART... After the lawyer cashed the check, the insurance company had him arrested on 24 counts of ARSON!!!! one for each cigar. With his own insurance claim and testimony from the previous case being used against him, the lawyer was convicted of intentionally burning his insured property and was sentenced to 24 months in jail and a $24,000.00 fine.
This is a true story and was the 1st place winner in the
recent Criminal Lawyers Award Contest. YES!!!

Re: The best lawyer story of all time. It is all true

marie on 10/12/03 at 18:25 (133772)

It could only happen in America! :))

Sharon W on 10/12/03 at 20:29 (133791)

Dr. Z,

:D

It's great to hear of a lawyer that came out losing money instead of making it, for a change!

Especially since THIS is much more like how it USUALLY goes (my source was News of the Weird, which collects weird stuff from REAL news stories):

The Latest Results From America's Pre-eminent Lawyer Enrichment Program
(class-action lawsuits): (1) In a $350 million settlement between AT&T and
customers overcharged on telephone leases, lawyers get $84 million, and
customers get back $15 to $20 each (December). (2) In a recent settlement
between Sears and customers with improperly done wheel balancing, lawyers
get $2.45 million, and customers get $2.50 a tire. (3) In a $3.7 million
settlement between televangelist Jim Bakker's Praise the Lord Ministries and 165,000 defrauded Christians, lawyers get $2.5 million, and each victim gets $6.54 (July). (4) In a settlement of price-fixing charges against cosmetics manufacturers and retailers, lawyers get $24 million, and each customer gets a free cosmetic (July). [St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 6-22-03] [St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 6-4-03] [The Citizen-Times (Asheville, N.C.), 7-30-03] [San Francisco Chronicle, 7-19-03]

Sharon

Dr. Z on 10/12/03 at 22:17 (133804)

That sucks big time.
I have learned that never get a lawyer unless you are in the court room.
I had a investment problem with a firm that I was able to settle for a nice small fair amount of money.
All the lawyers that I met and explained my story wanted a ten thousand retainer to just begin the suit.
The old saying that a fool is his own lawyer was a fool for getting a lawyer.

Sharon W on 10/12/03 at 22:28 (133805)

Dr. Z,

Four of my dad's brothers were lawyers, but they were from another generation. I really don't understand how their profession has become this TWISTED...

Sharon

Rick R on 10/13/03 at 07:31 (133814)

Wow, how about the best thief story, not just Lawyer story. Talk about justice!!

Rick

Pauline on 10/13/03 at 08:44 (133817)

I think it's just popular to blame someone or some group for societies problems and failings.

When people need an attorney they always go looking for one. They don't label them then.

There will always be conflict between what people consider is good and evil.

Personally, I think what people say about attorney's depends a great deal
on the area in which they are standing at the time they make their comments. I'm sure the samething holds true about doctors and even your childs teacher or principle for that matter.

Sharon W on 10/13/03 at 09:03 (133819)

Pauline,

I know that attorneys are not always the 'enemy,' and that not all of them are 'ambulance chasers' or pursuing class action suits so they can get their hands on the big money. In fact, personally (besides my one remaining uncle) we have 3 friends who are lawyers and are not or obcessed with money above all else.

I don't think the fact that when people need an attorney they always go looking for one proves anything good about lawyers, though. When people need a doctor they always go looking for one, too; it is a simple matter of necessity, something people have no choice about and they will do whatever they have to do to find the money even if they have to mortgage their home, spend their children's college education money, etc. That certainly does NOT prove that either of those professions isn't greedy or over-priced, or that the public has no justification for resenting them.

Sharon

Sharon W on 10/13/03 at 09:04 (133820)

Are you familiar with the Darwin Awards?

Sharon
;)

Pauline on 10/13/03 at 09:29 (133824)

Sharon,
Resentment can only come when one is dissatisfied with the result, if the outcome is good there is usually no resentment.

I have far less problem with income earned by doctors and lawyers than I have with sports figures.

How do we justify paying entire teams of losers like the Detroit Tigers or Lions? If both teams were canned and their incomes given to the Detroit Public Schools it would be put to a far great use.

We haven't mentioned dentists in this big picture either. Have you priced a root canel or crown lately?

Rick R on 10/13/03 at 09:49 (133831)

Yes I am, and one of my goals in life is to avoid making the list.

Rick

john h on 10/13/03 at 13:28 (133863)

Pauline what is wrong with Arod earing 20 million a year on his 7 year contract and about another 10 mil a year in endorsements. I would not be supprised if Tiger Woods does not earn 100 mil a year. One heavyweight championship fight can bring the winner 100 mil. Our movie stars easily can get 20 mil plus residuals for a movie. How about our rock stars and one of those one year tours. Do not even want to guess. It seems in any activity that will put a lot of people in the seats at big prices the stars of that activity will earn enormous sums of money. Hopefully they are in the 50% tax bracket and the goverment and you and I reap some of the tax money. What is the alternative? .

john h on 10/13/03 at 13:52 (133867)

I am not sure it so much the attorneys but the society we live in which allows all sort of lawsuits to go forward. Our society had moved towards a place where we have no personal responsibility and can and do sue everyone for hot coffee, drinking, to much fat in our food and other ridiculours things. Lawyers never used to advertise as they do now and certainly not with the program if we do not win your case you do not owe us anything.

Pauline on 10/13/03 at 15:53 (133878)

Don't go to or buy anything that supports them.