Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Proposed Dietary Supplement Bill

Posted by Pauline on 10/12/03 at 19:37 (133781)

Big article in todays paper on the Proposed Diatary Supplement Bill. In simple terms it would make manufacturers of diatary supplements submit
reports to show safety before it could be marketed.

My feeling toooooooo much government regulation and we don't need it. Sometimes it makes you feel good to think for yourself. I'm not a large supplement taker and have never had problems, but maybe others have had bad experiences.

When will we need the FDA to tell us our toilet paper is not tooo abrasive? Maybe it already does. I don't know, but I sure think people should take a more responsible role in their own health whether it's choosing supplements or something else.

Would like to hear from others on this one.

Re: Proposed Dietary Supplement Bill

marie on 10/12/03 at 20:00 (133784)

Pauline

http://www.wholefoods.com/takeaction/

Is this what you are talking about? Do you have a link or newspaper article that I can read as this does interest me?

Thanks

Pauline on 10/12/03 at 20:26 (133790)

Marie,
It's in a local paper called The Macomb Daily, Sunday Oct.12, 2003. I couldn't find the article on line to provide a link.

It's Senate Bill 722 proposed this time by Sen. Richard Durbin, D-Ill.
This one says that if there is 'ONE' adverse experience the substance would be banned or regulated like an RX drug.

I don't know if its the same bill or not because it has a different number and sponser. Perhaps stronger wording and more restrictions this time round.

marie on 10/12/03 at 20:58 (133793)

http://www.nnfa.org/services/government/pdf/s722.pdf

I found the actual bill and posted it above. I will have to read it a bit later but this should provide the specific information.

I do, by the way, agree. Tooooo much government.

marie

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/13/03 at 09:47 (133830)

Pauline:
At first glance, the idea sounds innocuous but, in reality we all can figure out where this will go. Regulations would make manufactuers spend tens of millions on studies to prove safety with the result being that the cost of supplements skyrocket and availability goes down.
Ed

Sharon W on 10/13/03 at 09:55 (133832)

I'm with you 100% on this one, Pauline. Government should LEAVE US ALONE when it comes to dietary supplements. It is a way that many of us (including myself) have learned to responsibly participate in our own health care. Yet if just ONE stupid person takes a supplement irresponsibly -- say, swallows 6 times as much as the recommended dose every day, washing it down with a quart of whisky, and ends up damaging their liver -- then they will take it off the market?? That's a TERRIBLE bill!!

I will e-mail everybody I know and tell them to e-mail everybody they know and try to get as many letters sent to as many congressmen AGAINST this bill as possible.

Sharon

Pauline on 10/13/03 at 10:01 (133834)

Sounds familiar. Same old, same old.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/13/03 at 11:25 (133843)

Sharon:
Good work!
The area of excessive and innapropriate government regulations is an area where many Republicans talk a good game but do very little about. The worst explosion of health care regulations occurred during Bush Sr.'s administration. This is one reason why I did not vote for G. W. Bush.
I favor his foreign policy and security policy but feel that domestic concerns often get swept aside.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 10/13/03 at 13:12 (133859)

If it did not cost all the money that it would to do the darn studies...I don't think I would have a problem with it. I lift, and I take supplements such as creatine and different protein powders and meal replacement mixes. I want to know exactly how much protein as well as carbs I am taking in. There are protein bars out there that say they have 30 grams of protein...but some studies have shown that there was much less. Maybe I am missing the point....but thats my opinion.
Richard

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/13/03 at 13:39 (133865)

Richard:
What you are saying is what I, and I would guess many others, would REALLY like the FDA to do -- make sure what is on the label is really in the supplement/pill/capsule/powder. That simply involves random testing of supplemements to make sure that the labels are honest.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 10/13/03 at 15:42 (133874)

I have read reports from Bill Phillips, CEO of EAS Nutrition. He has posted test results that have shown many companies lie about the content of their product. Pure Protein, for one, claims to have more protein per bar than what the test showed.

I prefer Met-Rx myself. They are honest and less expensive than other powders.
Richard

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/13/03 at 16:00 (133879)

Richard:

I cannot see anything worse that lying to consumers about what is inside a supplement -- it is criminal in my view. I wish that the FDA would police this area. Let the public know what they are getting and they are getting what is on the label, then stand back and let the public decide. The whole orientation of what the FDA is trying to do is wrong in my opinion.

Bodybuilding supplements are a whole other area -- so many fantastic claims. Still, verify the purity and accuracy of what is on the label, punish those who lie about content, then stand back and let the public decide. There are some substances that one needs to be careful with, especially ephedrine containing supplements and I can see some controls on stuff like that.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 10/14/03 at 07:58 (133933)

I agree about the ephedrine stuff. I stay away from all that. I mainly use meal replacement powders and creatine. What I think is a joke is the claims that creatine will increase muscle mass. Studies have shown that it mainly helps retain water in order to give a bulky appearence. It also is good for short term bursts of energy. I use it when I lift as well as before I play sports.
Richard

john h on 10/14/03 at 13:25 (133968)

Richard: You need a dose of K-Rations or the newer version of MRE (Meal Ready to Eat). I can remember sitting under the wind on the hot metal runway at Dong Ha thinkig this stuff is not bad. I ordered about ten packs of the new era foods the military provides from a survival store. I have not tried them yet but you can put them in boiling water in some cases and eat some hot food. Not so sure it will be as good as those canned k-rations. They did not have a label of calorie content or nutrition values.but yummmmmmmmy!

Richard, C.Ped on 10/14/03 at 13:28 (133972)

John...
I can honestly say that I have never tried that. I have always wondered if that was good. I remember seeing a report at the start of the war about MRE packs. There were all kinds of good stuff mentioned.
Richard