Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

who here is overweight? just wondering?

Posted by heather on 10/12/03 at 22:35 (133807)

I am just so curious about why i have this and i did gain some extra ponds in pregnancy that arent coming off so easy anyway wondering if being heavy is a big contribution to my pain.wondering if i lost the weight if i would get better.any input would mean alot.thanks so much!

Re: who here is overweight? just wondering?

Rick R on 10/13/03 at 09:45 (133829)

Heather,

I'm sure weight is a significant factor, although not an issue for me at the time of onset. I'm sporting about 15 - 20 pounds of contingency nourishment I'd be far better off without, barring unforseen circumstances. It's much harder for me to fight the battle if I can't run.

Rick

Carole C in NOLA on 10/13/03 at 11:42 (133845)

Heather,

Overweight seems to make a big difference to some of us, and less to others. In my case, was about 150 pounds overweight for years with no problem, then lost 80 pounds and got PF. I stayed the same weight while battling PF and got essentially completely better after about 9 months. Then I gained back 40 pounds (eep!) but it has not seemed to make any difference for me.

So yes, like most Americans I'm overweight, but no, in my case it doesn't seem to have a big effect on my PF.

What HAS apparently caused my PF, according to my doctor and to my own observations, is riding my exercycle. I bought it to accelerate my weight loss, but apparently I ride it overly enthusiastically and my feet can't take that.

There are a number of different possible causes for PF. Overweight can be one of them, for SOME people. If you are overweight, this might be a really good time to try to lose weight; it might help. So might a lot of things (see the heel pain book on this website). However, I wouldn't stay awake nights feeling bad about your overweight causing PF, because PF can have a number of different causes.

Carole C

Re: Heel pain and pregnancy

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/13/03 at 13:34 (133864)

Heather:
You were not specific as to the type of foot pain you are encountering but plantar fasciitis is common during pregnancy, especially the later stages for two reasons. First, weight gain is a factor, but particularly because the increase in weight occurs in a fairly rapid fashion, over a few months. Second, the more important factor is the hormone, relaxin. Relaxin is the hormone that allows ligaments to soften such that your pelvis can spread apart, creating a birth canal of sufficient size. Relaxin, like any hormone that circulates through the blood stream will affect other ligaments in your body including those in your foot. It is not uncommon for patients to gain 1/2 to one whole shoe size in pregnancy as the foot expands. The thing holding back that expansion is the plantar fascia so it comes under a lot of strain.
Ed

wendyn on 10/13/03 at 23:21 (133919)

Nope - 5 foot 2 and about 113 lb.

Noticed a pop up window at the bottom of this thread on weight loss pills....wondering if that was added as part of the post? I have never seen a pop up window on this site.

Scottr?

Scott R on 10/13/03 at 23:56 (133923)

it's your computer wendy...try http://www.webattack.com/get/adaware.shtml to get rid of it