Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Successful Surgery!!!!!!!!

Posted by Rose on 10/13/03 at 09:37 (133827)

I had surgery July first, both feet at once. One for PF and the other a neuroma.I had tried everything mentioned here on this board and I still had lots of pain. To make a long story short....I am thrilled I had the surgery. I can walk around the house barefooted with little pain, even if I am not supposed to. Yesterday I went for a long walk, and no pain at all. I wear Briks around and New Balance out if I am to be on my feet a wh8ile or at home if I am on my feet much.I am thinking of trying 'cute' shoes as an experiment for a little whle for special occasions. Does anybody have any recommendations?
I have custom orthodics made from the cast method. I am fully expecting to be fully cured within a month or two. I have had no pain medication at all for a long long time unless I abuse my feet.
Now I think part iof my recovery was due to lots and lots of rest...a wheel chair for over a month....lots of lying around and then only gentle deep water aerobics. I am a teacher and I have just retired, so I have that luxury of really babying my feet and stayng off of them. I did wear a boot for several months and I wear it now and then to bed on both feet to keep them stretched. The other foot had the start of PF before the surgery and that is completely gone. I think that is due to the rest and ice. I literally iced for almost two weeks straight after surgery.
So I do believe, that in many cases, if one takes a lot of time and lets the body heal by eating right, taking lots of vitamins like C and staying off those feet for a long time...it should lead to a complete recovery.have been
I had no physical therapy, but told to roll a rubber ball under my feet to help scar tissue from forming.My suegeon, a wonderful man, said if I thought I was not healing quickly enough to call and he would refer me to physical therapy and we could try anything else I wanted. He said there were lots of options. His attitude alone probably helped me to heal. I also do the regular strethes we all do regularly. I also do the feet exercises mentioned in Peter Egoscue's book Pain Free.
I wish you all the best and want to encourage you to try surgery...it is so worth the chance of getting out of this horrible foot pain and leading a normal life.
I want to thank all of you, and especially the doctors for all the wonderful information and interaction on this board. I have been visiting regularly for almost a year now, and I will continue. iI pray I will continue to have only good news and encouragement for others.

Re: Successful Surgery!!!!!!!!

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/13/03 at 13:17 (133862)

Great to hear about your success. It does take time to adjust to the effects of a plantar fascial release so getting adequate support and time are critical. Some of the problems we have seen are with those practitioners who have claimed that patients can get an EPF and be back in their shoes within days.

Re: Successful Surgery!!!!!!!!

Marcia H. on 12/15/03 at 20:27 (140051)

Hi Rose, Would you mind telling me the name of the doctor who performed your surgery?