Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

bump below the inside of my right ankle

Posted by Tim C on 10/13/03 at 13:17 (133861)

Hi,

I have a growing bump on my right foot, just below my ankle on the interior side of my feet. The bump appears to have blood vessles on the surface, and feels dull with slight pain sensation when I press it. It is about 1 1/2 inch by 1 inch, mayble half inche high compared to my left foot. It seems to be getting bigger. I'm not sure if there a link, but I twisted my ankle pretty badly about two years ago. I went to see my schools health care doctor, but no x-ray was taken. About 2,3 weeks later, the pain went away and I forgot about it. I didn't have this bump before twisting my ankle.

What do you think?

Tim

Re: bump below the inside of my right ankle

AndrueC on 10/13/03 at 16:40 (133885)

That sounds a lot like what I've had on both feet for over two years. It's where my foot problems first started in fact. Mostly I can ignore it but i do remember that my first symptoms of pain after resting were in this area (ie;the inside of my ankle) rather than under my heel.

The location is (medically speaking) where two of the 'Tom, dick and harry' tendons cross. To put it in a less medical way - if my lower leg is at ninety degrees to the floor then two to three centimetres (half an inch) under the bumb of my ankle bone is where the swelling is.

I have never got a definitive answer from any expert on what this is or if it matters. From looking on the web there seems no anatomical structure that could cause the problem other than those two tendons. Since I can stand on tip-toe and turn my foot inward without pain they must be fine.

My current podiatrist thinks it's just somewhere convenient for fluid to build up but my first pod. said it was a common overuse injury that he saw in soldiers (he treated the local barracks).

I to will be interested to see what the resident experts can say on the subject :)

Tim C on 10/14/03 at 14:07 (133976)

Yup, sounds exacltly like what I have. Just curious, have you had some trauma on your ankle, ie. rolled/sprang your ankle? Do you still have these bumps now, are they getting bigger? Also, you mentioned there is no pain, but are you experiencing some other problems with your feet? I'm curious b/c I'm not sure if I should got see a doctor.

I'll make sure the doctor's response is posted.

AndrueC on 10/15/03 at 02:20 (134011)

I don't remember any other trauma.

I have been suffering from what is probably PF for about the same amount of time. This is improving and right now I just have what can be described as achey feet most of the time.