Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What do I have???

Posted by Jacqui K on 10/14/03 at 07:46 (133931)

Hi,

I have been to a lot of doctors and today just had a bone scan done. Nothing wrong with my foot. Unfortunately, it can still be painful at the inside and bottom of the ankle joint especially at the end of the day or if I stand for too long. I feel like it is just in my head! Am I imagining this??? It is not terribly painful but occassionally, it can be. I was told I had Plantar Fasciitis, then a possible stress fracture. That was all ruled out today. No stress fracture and no inflammation of the PF.

I have had 3 injections, orthotics (which have helped but still painful unless I constantly strap my foot) I was on anti-inflammatories for 4-5 months etc. I have bought 2 pairs of decent shoes etc

I read about TTS. My pain comes and then as soon I sit down or put my feet up it goes within 10 minutes. My left foot is worse, when I sleep on my right side, I have noticed pain on the left inside foot (if it is on the matress) I have also had sharp pains at times running along the bottom of my foot.

What is this??? I am stumped, no doctors are giving me an answer, I am about ready to get my foot cut off cos I am sick of it!!!

Re: What do I have???

Richard, C.Ped on 10/14/03 at 08:16 (133937)

I have spoken to a number of doctors around town about TTS. Many docs do not know about it. The ones who do know about it say that it can be confused with post tibular tendonitis. I would call orthopedic docs as well as DPMs and ask the office manager if the doc knows anything about these two.
Richard

dave r on 10/14/03 at 13:24 (133967)

There has been some discussion in the past that an mri sometimes doesnt show inflamation of the plantar fascia. Either the person reading the mri doesnt see it on the scans or its to early after the initial injury for inflamation to really be present. I can tell you that I had an mri 8 months after being told i had pf. The report said that there wasnt any inflamation of the fascia where it inserts into the heelbone.( I couldnt even walk ). 7 years later an ultrasound shows the pf at 10 millimeteres. Thats three times the size of a typical person. I dont know what to tell you. Maybe a ncv or an emg would rule out tarsal tunnel syndrome. I know that the symptoms of pf and tts can be similar and hard to isolate....
Good luck...

Pam S. on 10/15/03 at 00:04 (134010)

What is the treatment for post tibular tendonitis? I suppose that is diagnosed by palpation? Thx Pam

Richard, C.Ped on 10/15/03 at 10:27 (134028)

I see quite a bit of post tib tendonitis. A straight forward supportive orthosis works great. It usually goes right away. I get a touch of ptt if I work around the house without my orthotics (yeah yeah...I should know better....haha). When I put my shoes and orthotics on, it goes right away.
Richard