Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for Richard, CPed

Posted by Buck T. on 10/14/03 at 10:26 (133952)

Richard: I have had one set ortotics prescribed by oropedic MD and two by a good POd for PF. All three were the hard kind and hurt and didn't help. What helps the most is a sof sole insole. I have a high arch and physical therapist says I should not wear the prescribed orthotics because they have too much arch support.
My POD suggests I try orthotics again. I was wondering if it might be worth my time to go see a registered ped?
Also, what is process for determining how to make the right orthotic? Thanks. Buck

Re: Question for Richard, CPed

Richard, C.Ped on 10/15/03 at 10:20 (134026)

Hi Buck...
man...I had this nice long detailed answer...then the computer didnt save it....grrrr. Oh well. Lets try again.

In my opinion, someone with a high arch is the hardest to fit. What you do not want to do is make an orthosis that pushes the foot in a more supinated position. If you did find a C.Ped, he or she should check to see if you have a rigid first ray.

There are ways to provide wedges in order to have the foot in a neutral position. Every patient is different..so the type of orthosis will be different.

Here is the link to find a c.ped:

I hope this helps.