Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ankle pain and numbness

Posted by ed K on 10/14/03 at 18:35 (133996)

My foot doctor diagnosed me with heel spurs(which he showed me the xrays of) and told me I have very high arches. He then ordered orthodics which i have in my shoes for over 4 weeks now..(Love the orthodics, arches feel very supported) but I am still am having a great deal of heel pain and now my ankle aches all the time and is started to get a numbness and a sense of swelling. I am wondering if i am on the road to having surgery to fix this.

Re: Ankle pain and numbness

john king on 10/14/03 at 20:38 (134003)

Think about surgery very carefully. When the doctor cuts he will be cutting soft tissue. He is not going to be fixing a broken bone. I say this because I have had a number of surgeries for orthopedic problems and am worse off today than before. Don't let anyone rush you into invasive procedure. These are just my thoughts since they cannot uncut you and you have to live with the results bad or good. What is the potential downside?