Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Who determines orthotics>

Posted by Buck T. on 10/15/03 at 09:00 (134017)

Who and how are orthotics prescribed. Does the POD, physical therapist,or a CPed study the feet and then determine best orthotic? How do they do this? Thanks

Re: Who determines orthotics>

Richard, C.Ped on 10/15/03 at 10:16 (134025)

Hi Buck...
I like to use certain materials for the orthotics, and the majority of the docs that use us leave it up to us to determine what to use. There are other docs that like certain materials, and of course, we gladly use what they prefer.

I have come across many many docs that write for an orthosis...but it is usually vague. We see tons of scripts written, 'orthosis to fit', and thats it.

I have found that there are quite a few doctors that know an orthosis works, but do not exactly know how. No offense to any docs out there...most of them have so much else going on, they trust our judgement.
Richard

Buck T. on 10/16/03 at 14:38 (134145)

Thanks, Richard, for your response. Now,I really have a silly question. If it's left to you, how do you determine the orthotic. Do you have the person make a foot imprint on the paper-like thing, study their gait, talk to them about their condition?

Buck

Richard, C.Ped on 10/17/03 at 13:47 (134354)

I base the material use on the persons condition as well as their everyday activities. If we really need ankle stability, perhaps a UCLB hard orthosis with a very soft top cover. I would use that with either a large person, or someone who is very active and I know a softer orthosis would break down quicker. I will use softer materials depending on the person.

We do not use the paper thingy. We developed an impression system that I think can not be beat. We do talk about the persons condition and walking habits.

Richard

Buck T. on 10/17/03 at 14:08 (134360)

Thanks, Richard. Know you can't determine orthotic without seeing someone.
But let me quickly tell you about me. I'm not overweight, fairly active, have high arches and physical therapist says I have 'strong feet.' She says only problem she sees is that they may turn out slightly. She couldn't see pronation. The POD took imprint and prescribed rigid, high arched orthotics that I can't wear.
I'm going to find registered CPed and ask for help. But, from what you've heard, what do you think? Thanks,

Buck