Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

48 hours post op

Posted by Chad H on 10/15/03 at 09:34 (134020)

I had surgery on Monday. Everything went fine and they did basically what was planned. I posted a few weeks ago with details, basically a TTS release and an achilles lengthening procedure. Once again, the doctor was amazed at the amount of scar tissue in and around the TT.

I am trying to really take it easy. Very little movement, lots of ice and rest, and I am trying vitimins and supplements as well. I need to keep this scar tissue from coming back.

Nothing else to report. I just thought I would let you all know.

Re: 48 hours post op

Sharon W on 10/15/03 at 11:11 (134035)

What has your doc said about after-surgery care?

Sharon

Sharon W on 10/15/03 at 11:17 (134037)

You said before they were planning '3 weeks in a full cast, 3 weeks in a walking cast and 3 weeks in a boot'. Will you be going to physical therapy during the last 6 weeks of that, or does your doctor want you to stay completely immobile?

Just wondering... there are so many different approaches that doctors seem to take...

Sharon

Chad H on 10/15/03 at 11:51 (134041)

My uderstanding is 9 weeks before any PT. This is going to be something we discuss next week at my appointment. There are so many different theories.

marie on 10/15/03 at 20:18 (134083)

I hope this surgery is your last. Hang in there...it sounds like your in pretty good shape so far. We'll be around. Hollar if you need support..As you know there is always someone around to listen.

best wishes marie

Lari S. on 10/16/03 at 22:30 (134223)

Hang in there and really try and rest. I hope you have a great recovery and the scar tissue is held to an absolute minimum.
Lari

Dorothy on 10/16/03 at 23:04 (134231)

Keep us posted, Chad H. We are all hoping for your excellent recovery.

stella on 10/16/03 at 23:20 (134236)

good luck chad!! I had my surgery on may 22nd still cant walk and i was back in a plaster cast for 3 weeks it comes off tomorrow yah!! finally a normally shower! god i hate that! But we will see if the swelling has gone down and what the dr says. I also need more meds running low. Take care and hope u heal in quick time. Someday ill get there 5 months and waiting to get out of wheelchair!!

Chad H on 10/17/03 at 09:48 (134287)

Well yesterday was terrible. I don't know if it was the anesthesia or what, but yesterday I woke up sick as can be. I threw up all morning and was just miserable. I told the doctor that general makes me sick and he put some stuff in it to calm my stomach down. I thought it had worked, but Wednesday night / Thursday morning it hit me like a truck. I am still only about 75% over it.

Other than that, recovery is going fine. The doctor told my wife that they removed a ton of scar tissue. My ankle has always looked swollen since the first surgery, and believe it or not, the doctor told my wife that it wasn't swelling, it was SCAR TISSUE! I can't believe that.

Thanks for all of your kind messages. I will keep you posted.

Dorothy on 10/17/03 at 11:26 (134311)

Chad ~ I react to any anesthesia negatively, either getting sick and/or having a lot of trouble coming out of it and/or going into shock pretty readily. You have my great sympathy because it is certainly adding insult to injury to be recovering from surgery, dealing with all that you are with that, AND up-chucking in the process. I hope that by the time you are are reading here, that aspect of your surgery is behind you and you are feeling G.I. calmness. Take good care of yourself and look forward to better days.