Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is this CLONING?

Posted by Sharon W on 10/15/03 at 12:04 (134043)

...And, is it wrong?

Decide for yourself:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1508&ncid=751&e=7&u=/afp/20031014/hl_afp/us_china_clone_health

Sharon

Re: Is this CLONING?

Sharon W on 10/15/03 at 15:00 (134054)

I will add, I do think it is an interesting trend: we now have some of our top scientists beginning to go to countries like China to find the political freedom to pursue their research without government interference.

...Seems to me, a few decades ago it was being done the other way around...

Sharon

Rick R on 10/15/03 at 15:51 (134062)

Hmmmm do I detect a bit of a lean to the Libertarian point of view?

Rick

Sharon W on 10/15/03 at 17:11 (134067)

:D

Dorothy on 10/15/03 at 18:49 (134076)

Ok, I'm back! Hello, foot people. You all have been discussing so many interesting things that my quick scan has shown me that I wouldn't know where to begin. So, I will begin with what really got me:
Seeing the words 'China...political freedom...without governmental interference....' all in the same sentence.
Sharon W.,most respected and informed one, you can't be serious!

That linkage of concepts is almost as astonishing as reading Intel's head, Andy Grove, recently talking about how the U.S. is losing out to China and India, primarily, in technology jobs and other (non-industrial) work - just as it has in industrial jobs. This is interesting because about a month ago there was an announcement that China and Intel were building Intel's new factory? R & D? site? - in a village in China. I read that and said, MY town could use that business! (We have high unemployment). What towns and villages and cities in the U.S. did Intel speak to about establishing this site here?

When my oldest daughter was very young, she remembers our family talking at the dinner table and my making statements to the effect that our country needs to be very wary of China, that this will be the source of danger and threat - economic, military, and geopolitical threat. This was quite a few years ago. I stand by that view. What has made it even more pointed is the fact that it seems that our government has been cheerfully handing the prosperity and promise of the U.S. over to China to the great detriment of our well being. This is somewhat true in India as well, but India does not have the same kind of repressive, oppressive, closed, totaliarian society as China. And how ironic is it that ANY kind of reproductive research is going on the country that maintains the kind of reproductive grip on its citizens that China does.

Sharon W on 10/16/03 at 09:25 (134114)

Dorothy,

Actually, it was precisely that irony -- that CHINA (of all places!) is now being seen by some US scientists as a place to go for 'academic freedom' to get away from what they apparently see as GOVERNMENT SUPRESSION OF THEIR ACADEMIC WORK HERE IN THE US -- that prompted my earlier comment.

I did not comment on my personal opinion of the so-called 'cloning' attempt.

How was your trip, Dorothy? I hope all went well...

I noticed your post, earlier about sciatica. Are you feeling any better?

Sharon

john h on 10/16/03 at 10:28 (134126)

Dorothy: I think China will change as it's people are more exposed to western type freedom, ideas, and technology. Hong Kong is sort of a start. This may take many decades. Oppresive regimes like this sometimes fall from within and other times are helped along by outside forces. The more outside contact they have with other nations the more exposure they get to freedom.

Dorothy on 10/16/03 at 14:03 (134140)

John H.: With a nod to Rodgers and Hammerstein and their wonderful character Nellie Frobush (?..oh, memory, where are you??), performed originally by the great Mary Martin, I paraphrase: You Must Be a 'Cockeyed Optimist'...(that's the name of the tune) - and I hope you are right.

Whether you are or not, it's a great tune - and a great way to live a life (so I hear ... :-)

Dorothy on 10/16/03 at 22:54 (134226)

The trip was wonderful. The trees, rivers and lakes all beautiful. We drove down a road where the golden leaves were falling like rain and it was magical. The big golden harvest moon (I think they said it is called the hunters' moon but I like harvest moon better) hung over the highway for a long time as if guiding us home. We got excellent Michigan apples from our old Amish orchardman friend and just enjoyed being. We had a lovely time in every way...except for one. I bought some caramel corn. My husband ate some, broke a tooth and ended up having to have some emergency dental care. Expensive caramel corn!

The sciatic and its offshoot pain is still around but somewhat diminished for now. Had a really good day yesterday and a less than good day today with no discernible reason for either. It's a mystery to me, but I used to love Nancy Drew and later loved V.I. Warshawski, Kinsey Milhone, and other female P.I.s so mystery is my m.o. Thanks for asking, Sharon.

Sharon W on 10/17/03 at 09:13 (134270)

Dorothy,

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. I am envious. We haven't taken a short trip like that in quite a while, and I do enjoy them. (I think we may do more of that once the last daughter leaves the nest...)

I've been told that 'waxing and waning' is normal for sciatic problems. It does sound painful and very unpleasant... I'm glad it's doing somewhat better for now.

Are you still a mystery reader?

Sharon

Dorothy on 10/17/03 at 12:02 (134327)

Well, I would be but I haven't found any good ones lately. I didn't read the last Sue Grafton (Kinsey Milhone) novel and I haven't read Martha Grimes' latest either. I heard recently that Caroline Heilbrun died and she wrote as Amanda Cross when writing mysteries set on a college campus.
I have lots of favorites from Arthur Canon Doyle and P.D. James to so many others. I read mysteries as an interlude from all the more serious reading and writing that I do; they are a delightful break, a vacation for the mind. A pleasure when they are good.
Do you read mysteries?