Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Upcoming EPF

Posted by Laura S on 10/16/03 at 10:26 (134125)

I am having EPF on my left foot next week. I've had PF in both feet for 5 years now. I can't walk from the front door of the house to the car without pain. I've had the NSAIDS, physical therapy, chiropractor, shots, resting, ice, night splints, stretching, custom made orthotics, foot massage, ultrasound, walking casts..etc. None of those gave me any relief at all. It just got worse. I have to have EPF because my insurance won't pay for ESWT. And between being single and other medical costs I've accumulated over this past year for other problems, I can't afford ESWT. So I would like to hear any thoughts or comments or suggestions regarding EPF.

Re: Upcoming EPF

dave r on 10/16/03 at 12:07 (134131)

Do you know how much of the fascia your doctor is going to cut?
What is he telling you your recovery time is going to be?

BrianG on 10/16/03 at 17:27 (134165)

Hi Laura,

I think maybe you should use the 'search feature' at the top of this page. Just make sure you check of the top item, the 'message board and data base'. Just type in EPF and get ready to read all about the procedure. A few people here have been helped, most have not. Some are much worse off after the operation, and none of the posting Pod's are recommending it (the EPF surgery). As someone who had a failed EPF surgery, I'd certainly look into it a little closer. What has your doctor told you as for being out of work, what to expect for pain? I was out of work for 2 months, and my pain was horrible for 3-4 weeks !!!!!

It's not the miracle that some doc's are saying it is!
Regards,
BrianG

PS: Have you tried taping yet? and ice a few times a day?

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/16/03 at 18:03 (134177)

Laura:
EPF could wind up being more expensive because you may be off work longer.
ESWT is available in Canada at a very reasonable cost and many US practitioners are willing to make affordable financial arrangements.
Ed

Dr. Z on 10/16/03 at 20:21 (134200)

Laura,
Any type of plantar fascia release can take up to six months for the pain to go away. If you can afford $70 per month you can afford ESWT

april l on 10/16/03 at 20:46 (134206)

I had my second EPF eight weeks ago, and it appears to be a success so far. I agree with Dr. Z that it could take 6 months for pain to subside. My previous EPF took about a year to heal. My podiatrist warned me that sometimes the surgery makes the foot worse, but he said there was only a 10% failure rate. I did not want to live with the pain I had had for the past 5 yrs., and I also tried all the conservative treatments. I did not try the ESWT though, as I had never been told about it. If you go ahead with the surgery, be patient. I was not patient the first time and was very upset and thought I had made the worst mistake, but eventually the pain was gone, and it was a very gradual process.

Terri on 10/17/03 at 10:07 (134288)

I had surgery on my right foot, and am glad I did, it worked!!

john k on 10/23/03 at 21:10 (135209)

Surgery is not a cure all. I have had surgery on my wrist and shoulder and I am worse off now than before. I was scheduled for foot surgery but I had had enough. I know that when you get desparate enough you will try anything. Good luck with the surgery and I hope it helps.

john king

Rose on 10/27/03 at 14:19 (135758)

I had the surgery three months ago, and I am soooo glad I did it. I am sooo much better. I expect to be fully healed in several more months. Right nfow I am just about pain free. Go for it...just take a lot of time and baby your feet and you should heal well. I took it very slow and iced for a solid week. I am just veryf happy I did it. I can walk barefooted, go shopping etc. I expect to be back to aerobics within six months, but I will not rush it. I will listen to my body. I still do the stretches every day. I wear Birks and New Balance and SAS shoes with my old orthodics.