Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Haglunds Bump/Deformity

Posted by Kathryn P. on 10/16/03 at 11:07 (134129)

I have had a bump by my incision since surgery in Aug. 2000, it was about the size of a golf ball. Now it is a least the size of a tennis ball if not bigger. Again when we asked the doctor, 'Duh, I don't know'. Looking through my records it is said it's a Haglunds bump/deformity. Now my question, what is that? Along with everything else that's wrong with my foot and ankle is this repairable? From what I read in the reports, there isn't much that can be done. The doctor's quote said it was a prominent Haglunds bump, and I have plantar fascitis and he didn't see a surgical technique which would have much chance of helping these things. He is one of the better orthopedic surgeons I have seen. I saw him Jan. 4, 2001.

I have contacted attorneys about a medical malpractice case, no one got back to me. It's very discouraging, I don't have money to put up, what I need is an attorney who will collect only if I win my case. This isn't easy doing this. I'm am messed up permanently because of this a-- and I can't do a stinking thing about it. It's very frustrating for my family and me. We are grateful for the help we have gotten on the board, now we need more. Someday maybe we can help some of you.

Kathryn P.

Re: Haglunds Bump/Deformity

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/16/03 at 17:54 (134174)

Kathryn:
A Haglund's defromity is an enlargement at the back of the heel bone. Considering the size you have mentioned, Haglund's rarely would get that big. Considering all that you have been through, a doctor with significant expertise in the area needs to be consulted. I had mentioned Guido LaPorta, DPM in Pittsburgh or Kieran Mahan, DPM in Philly. If at all possible, it is important to try to get a good opinion outside of your HMO system.

Ed

Kathryn P. on 10/16/03 at 18:29 (134183)

Ed,

I'm really scared of all that is wrong. Philly and Pittsburg are off a good distance, but that's besides the point. We feel it is way too late to consider any surgery or so I've been told. We value your opinion as I have mentioned before. The Haglund bump is enormous, and hurts so bad some people won't even look at it because it is so ugly and deformed.

We were turned down today from an attorney who acted interested before. We're not giving up yet lawyer wise.

Kathryn P.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/16/03 at 21:35 (134214)

Kathryn:
If you were closer, I would be glad to examine it for you. I cannot imagine a top notch practitioner in your region not doing the same. Perhaps one of the other docs is more familiar with your area and knows someone closer. Sometimes the trip is worth it to both get an opinion and to get away from any tendency for fraternalism to get in the way of helping you.
Ed

Kathryn P. on 10/17/03 at 09:18 (134273)

Okay, okay, I am so afraid of losing my foot and leg, there I've said it. That was not ruled out, we asked one othopedic surgeon (the better one) and he said it could happen. My sister who has been very sick for over a month has been working feverishly checking over and over on the reports and have to try to come up with something, anything. A botched up achillies tendon repair, plantar fascitis, claudication, Haglunds bump, antagic gait, RSDS, I think that's all, I don't really know. We're trying to figure out what all this means.

Oh, yes, the doctors kiss each other butts here over this problem. Dr. H.M. the first time he told me that Dr. P. did a bad job and was at fault, then he left the room and came back in and changed everything he said at first, but it's in the records. My PCP doesn't want anymore to do with this situation, he doesn't want to give me referrals. So I can't go to anyone else. Sometimes my toes swell up so bad we can't even see my toe knuckles, the slightest bump and my foot is black and blue. I wear a size 7 on one foot and 8 1/2 on the other, it makes quite a lovely pair.

As for my suing, it isn't the money, never had any, it's what Dr. P. did to me. I can't play ball with my 6 yr. old nephew, go sled riding with him, throw frisbee, do things little boys like to do, I can't even go for a walk with him. And you know what I don't even feel sorry for myself.
I just want this person who took away alot of my freedom. That's it for now.

Kathryn P.

Dorothy on 10/17/03 at 11:50 (134322)

Yes, I think it quite natural and normal for that kind of fear to insert itself into any pain experience and particularly chronic pain...the worst case scenario kind of thinking. Sometimes it is perfectly reasonable to be considering worst case scenarios and planning for that possibility, but sometimes it simply interferes with what IS happening. You have a lot going on and a lot of feelings surrounding all that has happened - understandably. Try to break it down into manageable bits and also to prioritize things. From what you say, it sounds like you need legal help. If you have been unable to get an attorney who will help you on financial terms that you can manage, do you have a bar association or some legal association that can advise you about obtaining the kind of legal help you need? The 'Personal Injury' attorneys are always advertising on tv so they must be successful - what about one of them? If you are alleging malpractice, that seems to be what those lawyers like to take. Have you searched online or at your library for info about such issues as you describe - malpractice, finding an attorney, etc. I hope you find some way through these troubles ~

Kathryn P. on 10/17/03 at 14:55 (134380)

It's hard to say but that is the scenario I have been given. The TV attorneys are just that, I'll help, then don't want anything to do with it. We tried three, but there are others, we're not quitting, we're not quitters. Down to the wire, now that's us. Keep the faith, RIGHT.