Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anodyne Light Therapy

Posted by Dorothy on 10/16/03 at 15:28 (134150)

This is from a podiatrist's website and I thought it might be of interest to some here. I have no connection to the podiatrist nor to the light therapy, other than an interest in it. I have never used it. I don't work for this or any podiatrist or any company having to do with any of the matters that we cover on heelspurs! Honest.

'Healing Through Light Energy'
Recently, light energy has been specialized to heal chronic wounds, muscle aches, edema, and neuropathy in the form of a new infrared light therapy. This therapy is called monochromatic infrared light emission (MIRE). This new technology is available in a treatment called 'anodyne' The Anodyne therapy unit is manufactured by the MedAssist Group in Tampa, Florida. 'Anodyne' is derived from the Greek word roots and meaning 'without pain'.
Everyone has a natural occurring substance known as 'nitric oxide' in his or her blood vessels. This compound is responsible for increasing the blood vessel size and flow. Normally, the cells lining the blood vessel wall produce this nitric oxide. Nitric oxide is stimulated as blood flows through the vessel.
When nitric oxide is depleted as blood flow slows down, it will diminish circulation in small blood vessels and can prevent chronic wounds, known as ulcers, from healing. These ulcers can occur on the legs and feet especially in diabetics or those with poor circulation. Today, Anodyne has allowed for the improvement of the healing potential in chronic foot and leg ulcerations sooner than any other remedy available.
Concomitantly, proper blood flow in small blood vessels, known as capillaries, is important because they continuously nourish the nerves in the feet and legs. These nerves provide proper sensation and balance. As the blow flow decreases, and these nerves are starved for nourishment, they become non-functional. The lack of sensation puts an individual 'at risk' for leg and foot problems, such as, a condition known as 'neuropathy'. Neuropathy mostly affects the diabetic population, but can also affect non-diabetics. The neuropathic symptoms can be pain, burning, numbness, and other abnormal sensations in the legs, feet and hands. If left untreated, then this process of neuropathy can become irreversible and cause nerve damage. Today, Anodyne is the only 'ray of hope' for neuropathic symptom reduction and reversibility.
Anodyne works harmoniously to stimulate the bodies own naturally occurring compounds to achieve the success of healing.
Anodyne therapy is non-invasive and painless. It has specialized pads, which can be applied directly to the legs and feet. These pads convert electrical current to infrared light energy. This light energy stimulates the blood vessels to stimulate nitric oxide in blood vessels and increase blood flow. A 45 minute treatment every other day to the to lower extremities and feet is all it takes. This process may help heal wounds, decrease the sensations of pain, numbness, burning, and abnormal sensations attributable to neuropathy, decrease edema, improve balance, and decrease pain due to injury. This unique treatment can be applied at home after a 3-4 week trial period in the foot doctor's office. Most insurance, including Medicare, will cover the Anodyne therapy and home unit.

Re: Anodyne Light Therapy

SteveG on 10/16/03 at 15:57 (134158)

Dorothy - this has been discussed a few times on this board. Dr. Davis, if I recall, expressed some skepticism. However, if might be worth a try. When I looked into it, I think it was around $300.00, and there are only a limited number of places where you can get it. There was one here in the Seattle area.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/16/03 at 17:57 (134175)

I have not used it personally. My comments, as mentioned by Steve, originated by discussing it with several practitioners who tried it with very limited success.

Dorothy on 10/16/03 at 18:44 (134186)

I don't know about its success with PF, but there are several studies showing it to be the ONLY thing that is proving effective for diabetic neuropathy - you are well informed so I am sure you are well aware of those developments, recently reported in news and here as well, as I recall.

Rachael T. on 10/16/03 at 23:25 (134240)

Steve - Are you still improving or at least maintaining your improved feet since the Brooks experience? I am still doing well wearing the Brooks & my orthotics in them most of the time - & I've been walking, riding my bike, & my horses......I hope that after this 2+ yrs. stint of PF I am closing on it. But, I know, that I shall forever be cautious & tread lightly as I think those of us that have it for a long duration may have incidence of it reoccuring again if we over-do.

Ed Davis, DPM on 10/16/03 at 23:31 (134242)

Even the effect on diabetic neuropathy is uncertain. I, like most podiatrists have a lot of diabetic patients. I would jump at the opportunity to find an effective treatment.

Dorothy on 10/16/03 at 23:38 (134247)

Well, obviously your personal experience with your patients tells you what is effective. I am only referring to the written reports of the studies that make those statements about how effective it is for diabetic neuropathy. Beyond that, I do not know. I understand that you would be happy for an effective treatment, as would your diabetic patients. I was really enjoying feeling hopeful about that treatment! So, we will keep hoping for good treatments and preventions for diabetes. I don't have it, but I am concerned about it since I have many (maternal) family members who do.

Re: .To Rachael

SteveG on 10/17/03 at 00:24 (134254)

I seem to be maintaining at about the same level. I can stand and walk for longer periods of time. I was standing in line tonight at the store without a frantic look on my face. However, my feet are a bit tender tonight. I have been wearing both the Brooks and my NBs with my orthodics. I am glad to hear that you are continuing to improve.