Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Saudi schoolbooks under the spotlight...

Posted by Ed Davis, DPM on 10/16/03 at 22:17 (134221)

Is there any wonder most of the 9-11 perpetrators were Saudi's...
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L15631359.htm
Ed

Re: Saudi schoolbooks under the spotlight...

Sharon W on 10/16/03 at 22:27 (134222)

I recall seeing a report about this a couple of weeks after 9/11. Apparently the Saudi goverment was happy enough to accept extremist religious views being taught in their schools before then, even if it involved teaching children to hate and to kill non-Muslims just because they were 'infidels'. 9/11 put an international spotlight on the issue, however, and suddenly a lot of pressure was being put on the Saudis to change this aspect of their children's education.

I am happy to hear that this problem has now been corrected!

Sharon

Rick R on 10/17/03 at 07:43 (134264)

No doubt I'd rather see them not openly teach hatred in their schools, but I seriously doubt that this changes much. It is deeply ingrained in their culture and the text books were simply one quite visible manifestation.

I see a lot of parallels between our relationship with Saudi Arabia now and our relationship with Iran in the 70's just before the change in management. We have a government the openly attempts to sustain a good relationship with ours, and the common folk that..... well, fly airplanes into our buildings.

By the way, remember when we (Carter administration)claimed there was no way we could see it coming in Iran? The Iranian students on campus (Purdue) in around 1977 handed out fliers telling us what was happening and going to happen, they were spot on.

But how encouraging is it now to see the undercurrent in Iranian youth. I hope we are smart enough to take advantage of that somehow.

Rick

Suzanne D on 10/17/03 at 13:02 (134341)

Whenever I see 'school', it immediately captures my interest. I read the article and am not surprised that the prepetrators of terrorism were taught this extremism when they were young.

It is so true that what is ingrained in an individual when they are young has such an influence over their choices in life. And children in first grade already have many facets of their personality and beliefs strongly formed. It's amazing to see, actually.

Of course they can be 're-taught', but it does take a lot of effort! I deal with that every day. Or with trying to do 'catch-up' teaching to those who have not been taught honesty or care for others yet.

Like Rick, I have to wonder if the change in their textbooks is just talk, but I hope there may be positive changes.

Suzanne :)

John H on 10/17/03 at 14:32 (134368)

Suzanne if you remember Hitler started taking away young children from their mothers at ages 5 on up. Some women had babies stritly to be raised for the Nazi Army. We have children in some of the Muslim countries being taught from an early age to hate not just America but our way of life and our religion. With children being taught this from day one we will have to deal with problems in the mideast for the remainder of our lives and beyond. The goal of some or many Muslin Clerics is a final victory which is not just the end of Israel by a final conversion of all people. We may not be in a holy war but some Muslim Clerics say they are. Here we are over 2000 years since Mohammed and Jesus walked the earth and still at odds. How will it all end??????????

Rick R on 10/17/03 at 17:29 (134425)

John,

I do think we have to be open to the possibility that we are indeed in a holy war. After all, those that would see us perish claim that to be the case. The concept has become so remote in our culture, it's almost unbelieveable.

When I was a wee lad and dear old Dad was helping me face up to the bullies at school. One of the concepts he helped me grasp was that the winner in a fight wasn't the strongest or the fastest or biggest or the one with the numbers on his side. It was the one that got serious first. I'm thinking our adversaries are taking it seriously. I believe our government is taking it seriously.

Rick

Rick