Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

step stretch

Posted by Kelly on 10/17/03 at 05:05 (134257)

I am just curious. I have PF and my podiatrist told me to stand on a step and stretch. What is the purpose for this stretch?

Thanks very much

Re: step stretch

BrianJ on 10/17/03 at 11:35 (134315)

Kelly --

I am not a doctor, but I would strongly recommend against the 'step stretch.' This stretch is controversial, and it definitely made my PF worse. Many here on the board have found success with either non-weightbearing stretches or with the 'wall stretch.' Please do a search on this sight to learn more about different stretching techniques.

BrianJ on 10/17/03 at 13:00 (134340)

Let me follow up on my previous message. When I refer to the step-stretch in a negative way, I am referring to the stretching technique where the ball of the foot is placed on a step and the back of the foot is allowed to hang off of the step with no support. I am NOT saying anything negative about the product known as the 'Step Stretch.'

Kelly on 10/17/03 at 22:16 (134485)

Hi BrianJ,

Thank you for your help. I am finding that the stretch step doesn't help. I am finding some relief with the runner's stretch. You mentioned the wall stretch. Is this the same as the runner's stretch?

Thanks again!

BrianJ on 10/18/03 at 10:10 (134524)

Yes, the 'runner's stretch' is the same as the 'wall stretch' to my understanding.