Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

House slippers?

Posted by Sher A on 10/17/03 at 15:51 (134401)

I remember the days when I could just kick off my shoes and put on a comfy pair of house slippers. But now I have to put back on my New Balance tennies with the orthotics just to go get a drink of water. I can't stand having my feet in shoes all day because they get really tired. The second I get to work I take off my shoes and either let my feet 'play' on this wonderful foot roller/massager under my desk, or prop them up on the computer. Even those orthotics get hard as a brick after wearing them for awhile. Ok.. can anyone recommend a good pair of house slippers? If so, where do you get them? I notice that they're starting to advertise Birk type insoles in them for us 'aging hipsters' but I haven't yet started my quest to find a pair. Any ideas?

Re: House slippers?

Steve G on 10/17/03 at 16:49 (134417)

Sher - I wear Berk Bostons around the house and they are quite comfortable. Though, for slippers, they are a bit pricy. You should have good support even for wearing around the house, and Berks are a good option.

Ellen J. on 10/17/03 at 20:06 (134454)

Here's what I did when my feet were sore and I coudn't go barefoot: I put a comfy pair of orthotics inside a pair of soft, warm polar fleece socks and then put my feet in the socks. I then had a somewhat supportive pair of 'slippers' which I could even wear to bed if I wanted to. The docs may say that my idea is not supportive enough from side to side, as a pair of shoes would be, but it worked for me. It might not work for everyone though--just thought I would mention it for whatever it's worth.
Ellen J.

Suzanne D. on 10/17/03 at 21:18 (134471)

Sher, I keep a pair of Birk Arizona sandals by the bed. They're easy to slip into when getting up from bed. No, they don't feel like comfy, warm houseshoes like I used to wear, but since I can't go barefooted, they work for me. Also, when I get home from school, if I've worn my SAS shoes with orthotics, I put on the Arizonas (with socks if it's cold) for a welcome change.

Of course I didn't buy the sandals just for that purpose; I wear them in warm weather often. But they double as 'houseshoes' for me.

I hope you find something that works for you!
Suzanne :)

Kathy G on 10/18/03 at 10:24 (134530)

I'm in a similar position, Sher, so I hope we get some good ideas. I've been lucky in that my old Dearfoam slippers have worked out for me. I don't have typical PF and getting up in the morning isn't that painful for me. But I've found that my winter slippers from last year hurt something awful! I can barely walk in them!

I have bought, and returned, four kinds of slippers so far in my attempt to find something comfortable and warm. I have only one pair of Birks and since my feet are so narrow, I fear that if I wear them with socks, I'll stretch them out.

I was thinking of looking for slippers that an elderly lady I once knew used to wear. I think they were made by a company called 'Daniel Green.' I don't even know if they still exist but as I remember, they were more supportive than say, Isotoners or Dearfoams. I was thinking that I could do something similar to what Ellen does and get a pair of those and put supports inside them. If I used sox like Ellen, I'd probably slip and kill myself!

Hope we get some other ideas!

Carole C in NOLA on 10/18/03 at 18:18 (134626)

Sher, like most of the others who've posted, I wear my Birkenstocks for house slippers. Usually my Birkenstock Arizonas, Granadas, or Fuldas are just fine. Since these models of Birkenstock sandals are sandals without a heel strap, they're easy to slip into in the middle of the night. When I go to bed, I put them on the floor right by the side of my bed so that I can find them even in the dark.

I live in New Orleans, so cold is really not an issue for me with respect to slipper choice in the winter. But when it gets chilly, I wear my socks to bed and then slip into my Arizonas with socks. I also wear these three styles of Birkenstock sandals (with or without socks) around the house, watching TV and so on.

One time I got ready for bed, hopped in on top of the covers (since it was a warm night), and was drifting off to sleep when I realized I still had my Birkenstocks on in bed! I laughed and took them off before going to sleep. That's one time when Birkenstocks are NOT necessary. LOL

Carole C

marie on 10/18/03 at 19:07 (134632)

Oh Carol...that's so funny because I did that once too. I wear my Arizonas around the house as slippers.

Sher A on 10/18/03 at 20:21 (134635)

Arizonas, eh? I think we should all make a deal and promise to post if someone discovers some decent slippers. So you all do what I do, keep the Birks by the bed and wear them for everything. I thought I was the only one who did that :) I bought a pair of Birk Tatami sandals last summer with the hard rubber sole and those made the difference between walking and not walking last summer. I alternate them with the tennis shoes, but I still want that cushy comfy pair of slippers!

I too have very narrow feet, consequently, good shoes for me have always been expensive, not to mention hard to find. I can't even wear my Naturalizers anymore. Then I wore Easy Spirits for awhile but most of them are so matronly looking. I am very thankful that I can wear anything I want to work, well, within reason you know. Today I went through all my shoes and took most of them to the hospital thrift shop down the street. A lot were 'like new' and I'll miss them. Somebody will surely be elated to buy a brand new pair of Aersoles for $6. Glad I could help!

I think if I hadn't found y'all I would have gone nuts. Thanks for letting me participate and putting up with me. It's really hard to suffer alone believe it or not.

John H on 10/18/03 at 21:15 (134636)

I have been using Birk Airizonas by the bed for 4 years. Also in the yard, mowing the yard, climbing a ladder today in them. I do not recommend them for those activites but sure do recommend them next to your bed. My cats like them also.

Sher A on 10/18/03 at 21:21 (134639)

Your cats like them too? That's hilarious!! You ought to get a pic of that one! Looks like I might have to go buy some Arizonas tomorrow.

marie on 10/18/03 at 22:18 (134642)

No one ever has to suffer alone with PF or TTS....that's what we're all here for. My hubby uses my Birks to kill the mice that my cats catch. As soon as Meisha drops the mouse and begins to meow with pride they scurry off, I scream, and my hubby grabs one of my Arizonas and gives the mouse a swack! We could make a list of all the things we can use our birks for besides wearing them.:)

best wishes marie

Re: House slippers? / soft-footbed birks free for the asking

nancy s. on 10/19/03 at 04:24 (134652)

sher, what size birk do you wear? these wouldn't be as soft and cushy as house slippers, but they might be better than nothing: some soft-footbed birks. i wear only birks and went on an exploration craze a couple of years ago (and now wear only boston birks and cooper tatami birks).

i have two pairs of soft-footbed birks that i found i cannot wear (can use only the hard stuff!). they were worn maybe three or four times (and always with socks) -- size 40 narrow. one pair is the boston style (leather), the other monterey (i think suede -- some kind of soft material).

if you -- or kathy? or anyone else? -- could use them, i'd be glad to send them to you, and i don't want any money for them. life is expensive enough when you're trying to get this thing under control.

my birks are also good for breaking up a cat fight in the living room, with a (light!) toss.

Sher A on 10/19/03 at 19:36 (134696)

Really? I would love to have them!! I can wear either 39 or 40 if they're narrow. Right now I have the Floridas and the Tatami pair. I have found another use for mine as well. We occasionally get these horrid looking camelback crickets (look like space aliens) in the house and I dispatch them with the Birks. So can we discuss the details at (email removed)? Like the shipping at least, address, etc.. I have a split boot I could send you in return :) ..that insurance so very reluctant finally covered..

AngelaC on 10/19/03 at 20:30 (134708)

I keep my Arizonas right next to my bed also! And this week my son discovered that they're great for smacking ladybugs. That seems cruel, but there's an invasion of Asian beetles (like ladybugs) here in ND, and they try everything possible to get into the house. They BITE!!!! And have a fear response that releases a stinky, and staining, yellow fluid. Actually, I'm opposed to using my Arizona's for this; I think the rotten, no good, evil, clarks that helped do my feet in this summer should be used instead. . .

marie on 10/19/03 at 20:44 (134711)

Yes we have the same problem with those stinky little asian beetles disguised as ladybugs. I may have to try using my Arizonas on them....or maybe I can use all the old pairs I can't wear anymore. I don't know why I keep hanging on to them.

Sher A on 10/19/03 at 21:07 (134715)

I think I've learned more here than anywhere! Asian beetles, I'll have to check that out, but I've noticed that ladybugs emit that odiferous scent as well. So you think the clarks did your feet in? I sure can't wear springers anymore and gave all those away. Too bad they don't make them with softer soles. Giving away most of my shoes sure has freed up some closet space!

I believe the treadmill killed my feet. I have a 9 hour a day cubikal/computer job and force myself to get up and move every hour or so. So I joined the gym 2 years ago, and every other night would do 2 miles in a half hour on the treadmill, believing this was great exercise. I never got out of breath or anything, but my hipbones started hurting and ultimately my feet started acting up. So like an idiot I figured I'd just walk it off and work it out. Bad bad idea. Finally this got bad enough that I only did the gym once a week as the pain came and went. Last summer I quit the gym because I got wise and figured out this wasn't helping me one tiny bit, matter of fact it was messing up my feet. I did everything right, New Balance shoes, etc. 50 seems to be the year that I started coming apart, now I'm 53. Now about all I can do for exercise is lift weights a few times a week. It's far too dangerous to ride a bike anywhere around north VA and our house is too small for a stationary one. I don't have the time or the money to join a place with a pool. We're actually not all millionnaires up here. So I'm just taking it easy now, hoping one day this will flat get out of my life. Sorry I got a little long winded there.

AngelaC on 10/19/03 at 23:22 (134718)

It was my new pedometer that really did me in! Nothing like something that 'counts' to bring out the motivation. I started walking more steps, aiming for that recommended 10,000 steps a day that's suppose to be so great for us. To get some exercise at work, I walked up and down a couple flights of stairs every couple of hours, just to keep from being so sedentary. .. and walked a bit over the noon hour in the Clarks. Me feet were objecting, but I thought if I'd walk a little more I'd eventually be in shape. I turned 50 this past summer. I wonder if changing hormones are a contributing factor in plantar fasciitis??? In retrospective, it seems like I can list all kinds of things that I did wrong,almost like a wrote a prescription for pf. So much for hindsight. . . . Hope yours feels better soon!

AngelaC on 10/19/03 at 23:29 (134719)

Sher, I don't know if this would work for you, but I've been doing Pilates exercises with a DVD. It's the pilates for weight loss, and has 3 levels, including a very beginner, beginner one. It's mostly floor mat work, so I feel like I'm getting some exercise without standing on my feet. It has some good stretches in it. My pf makes the rest of my body ache, esp. my back, and these exercises seem very soothing.

nancy s. on 10/20/03 at 04:10 (134722)

sher: yes, really! i have to get them out of the attic, where they're put away and wrapped up well. i know for sure that the soft-footbed bostons are 40 narrow. have to double-check the montereys, which are definitely 40 but i'm not sure they came in narrow. i'll email you as soon as i find them (should be sometime today).

what is a split boot? i probably don't need it anymore, but thanks anyway.

anything that looked like a space alien in my house would get a bonk from my birk also.

Re: treadmills

Ellen J. on 10/22/03 at 18:13 (135047)

Hi Sher,
Northern VA is beautiful and I'm headed that way in a couple of weeks. My boyfriend's daughter just finished building a horse farm/barn in Middleburg and she is definitely not wealthy so you are right, not everyone is a millionaire in that area. The roads are really gorgeous but narrow so I can see how you wouldn't feel safe riding a bike there.
Regarding the treadmill, it made a mess of my feet too. I had been healing up nicely after 2 yrs of P.F. and I thought I could get on the treadmill and walk. In order to get a better workout (since I couldn't run) I set the treadmill on an incline. Very, very bad mistake. After that, I was literally laid up on the couch for 4 long and very tedious weeks and then it took months to get back to where I had been before getting on the treadmill. What seems to happen is that it overstretches the achlles, which in turn pulls on the fascia. I remember having an extremely tight achilles tendon along with very sore feet at that time.
Oh well, sometimes the only way to find out what not to do is to do it and find out. I have to say that I'm now pain free and I believe you will be pain free also, esp. if you are figuring out what aggravates your feet.
Ellen J.