Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Berkenstock shoes

Posted by Mary Jane K. on 10/17/03 at 17:52 (134428)

Hello
Please give me some advice on purchasing Berkenstock shoes. My pod. suggested I get them and she suggested that I find some sort of special insert that goes into it to make it a custom fit. Have you heard of these and where can I get these shoes? I am on my feet alot and I have had plantar fac. problems.
thanks
MJ

Re: Berkenstock shoes

Suzanne D. on 10/19/03 at 20:42 (134710)

Mary Jane, I am not a doctor but someone who also has PF. I am much improved from 2 years ago although I still have some problems. I wear Birkenstocks and feel they have helped me a great deal.

I learned about Birkenstocks on this site when I began searching to learn about plantar fasciitis. There are many different styles and types, but the one which you will read about over and over on this website is the Arizona sandal. It seems to have helped many people.It is a basic sandal with two wide straps across the top of the foot and no back strap.

I called some shoe stores in the nearest city and found a store which sold them so I could try them on. I recommend this if you possibly can. Hopefully, the salesperson can help advise you on the proper fit.

You can look at the styles and read about the different footbeds at this site:

http://www.birkenstockexpress.com

You need to know that unlike most shoes, Birkenstocks MUST be broken in slowly - no matter how good they feel when you first wear them. Begin by wearing them just about an hour the first day, then each day gradually increase your wearing time. If you don't do this, you will end up with very sore feet.

Birkenstock also makes different styles of inserts. You can see them on the above site as well. Your doctor would need to advise you about these. Normally, people do not wear inserts inside Birkenstocks as they have orthotic-type footbeds.

Good luck to you!
Suzanne :)

Mar on 10/20/03 at 11:42 (134730)

I have the birkenstock inserts (2 part system) for sneakers. They are good for heel problems. Birk also makes custom inserts -- one of the doctors I went to had info in his office about them. As for the sandals/clogs -- I find the soft footbed styles the best -- Florida and Boston. Mar

Mar on 10/20/03 at 11:49 (134731)

I also should mention that I have a couple of pairs of Clark's clogs which are as comfortable or actually more so than my birks. And both are FAR better than my custom orthotics which I have given up on after trying them for over a year and a half. Mar

tammy s on 10/20/03 at 23:34 (134788)

Mary Jane
I don't know if you live in a southern state but.....SAM'S CLUB carried the sandals discribed by Suzanne . They were in the summer stock and are now gone from the Minnesota stores. They have carried them for the past couple years that I've noticed. I have 2 pairs and wear them all the time. And better yet they were only 39$, I saw them in a specialty shoe store for almost 100$ !! Maybe go online to http://www.samsclub.com and see if they are available. Good luck................Tammy