Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Winning against heel pain

Posted by Bob G. on 10/18/03 at 23:17 (134643)

I like to think that we are all after the same result. Winning against heel pain. I have accomplished that. I want to help others do the same, and I would be willing to help those in need, or those who want to discuss the social side of this disability.

Is this a subject open for discussion?

Re: Winning against heel pain

nancy s. on 10/19/03 at 04:34 (134653)

yes, bob, and i've been wanting to ask you -- you are finally back to being able to run on the beach, is this right? i've been able to walk on the beach for the last year and a half, and although not an avid runner, would love to run a little distance sometimes. at about 75% recovered, i ran about 20 feet the other day -- the first time i've run anywhere for any reason in four and a half years. it seemed ok but i was afraid to try to go farther.

how did you know when it was finally safe for you to run? can you give any guidelines for this from your own experience?

thanks,

nancy

Bob G. on 10/19/03 at 06:57 (134654)

Hi Nancy,

Well, from my experience, I needed to rest to the extreme so that my PF could heal. You've got to give it time to heal. For me, I rested about a year. To me, 75% recovered would not be enoght rest time to jog or run because of the danger of re-injuring the PF. I learned to be patient and not 'test' it too soon; I learned to sleep with the Nightsplint; I learned not to stretch it (stretching can re-injure) until it was time to gently come back...slowly over time. Now that I am 100% recovered, I stretch with the Footflex everyday.

I just feel this thing can be beat if one is patient enough. Good luck!

nancy s. on 10/19/03 at 08:58 (134657)

oh dear. i suspect i'll be staying at 75%, bob, so that's one hope i should probably give up. it's ok. i got much of the rest of my life back, by doing many of the things you did (in fact i think it was your strong advocacy of serious rest that launched me into that part of it). i'm still grateful.

it's terrific to hear you're 100% recovered! i'm very happy for you. continued good luck to you too.

nancy

Lori W. on 10/20/03 at 21:09 (134772)

I feel that I might be winning the battle also (knock on wood). It makes me nervous to say so though. I was interested to hear that you felt it took a year. That's what I've been thinking. I've been doing much better for the last 3 months. This was after I had decided I just had to get off my feet as much as possible. Also, I use the night splint, have my orthotic, herbal antiinflammotories and ice. And, oh yeah, the Yoga stretches. I too found that the traditional stretches seemed to make it worse. I also haven't been biking and just treating my feet with kid gloves. It's encouraging to hear your success. I will continue to be patient and listen to my feet. When they say 'ouch' it's time to get off them.

nancy s. on 10/21/03 at 05:23 (134795)

all wise ways to deal with this, lori w, especially treating your feet gently, 'listening' to them, and having patience as you cut back on usual activities and replace them with non-weight-bearing care. best of luck to you, i think you're on a good track.

nancy