Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery

Posted by Doris K on 10/19/03 at 00:22 (134646)

I had surgery on Sept 26, 2003 for TTS in my right foot and I am still in the same pain that I was in before surgery except now my foot is swelling up. Is this common or did I have surgery for no reason and need to go to another doctor.

Thank You
Doris Kelly

Re: Surgery

Dr. Z on 10/19/03 at 01:40 (134648)

Hi
It can take anywhere from a few months to one year to see the final results from this type of surgery. Why do you think the result would be in less then one month. Is this what you surgeon told you?

Kathryn P. on 10/19/03 at 11:05 (134665)

Doris, Listen to the doctors on this board. If you need another opinion by all means get it. If you had read my posts from the last few weeks, I know what I'm saying. Rest or do whatever it takes to get better. Bless you.

Kathryn P.

Doris K on 10/19/03 at 16:58 (134680)

My doctor told me that I could have the surgery on Friday which I did and go back to work on Monday. All I needed was the weekend to rest. When I went back after 2 weeks he told me longer. I told him that I couldn't be out of work so that is why I went ahead and had the surgery. Now I wish I never did I am in same pain that I had before he did anything. The only thing different is the cut on the side of my ankle. Thank you for responding to my message

Dr. Z on 10/19/03 at 17:45 (134681)

Are you sure you had TTS surgery? This is very extensive and involved. It is not the type of foot surgery to have on a friday and back to work on Monday unless you can use crutches and sit at a desk and even that maybe tough

Doris K on 10/19/03 at 17:53 (134683)

That is what my doctor told me. He explained it is like have carpul tunnel in you hand but this was in my right foot. When I went back he told me the swelling and everything could be up to a year and gave me Neurotin 300 mg and Mortin 800 mg plus the pain pills that I have been taking. He also told me the oozing that the incision is doing is common that its the blood clots under the incision. I still have severe pain in my heel and around my ankle. I still have the same pain that I started out with. I was told to walk after I had the surgery and to take a shower the next day. I never was on crutches. He told me there was no need for them and all I had was a bandage around my incision to keep it covered until I come back for my week checkup. It has been 3 weeks now and nothing has changed do you think I need to go to another doctor.

Dr. Z on 10/19/03 at 18:55 (134685)

As I stated before it can take six months up to one year to see relief from your original symtoms. If you feel that you are having a communication problem with your present doctor talk to him. I am sure he didn't say you will be healed in a few weeks. Sutures are in your foot/ankle for two weeks. Swelling in that part of the foot/ankle can take months to go away. You have to determine your confidence level that you have with your doctor. I will still talk to him

Doris K on 10/19/03 at 19:02 (134686)

No he didn't say a few weeks. He told me I could have the surgery on Friday rest the weekend and go back to work. I told him I couldn't afford to be out of work so he said that I could go back on Monday. Now when I went back he said the recovery or swelling can occur for up to a year. I am not sure what to do. Glad there is a site like this that I can talk to someone about my surgery and get more information.

Dr. Z on 10/19/03 at 19:07 (134687)

Oh boy.

Doris K on 10/19/03 at 19:19 (134690)

Ok I assume that is not a good response. That is why when I started reading some of the messages I found myself wondering what in the world is going on. My doctor did none of what others have discribed on here. No crutches no cast nothing. Told to get up and put all my weight on my foot and to take a shower within 24 hours after surgery. I told him when I went back that the pain was still there. I honestly think that I had surgery for no reason now.

wendyn on 10/19/03 at 20:09 (134701)

Doris, how long had you been having pain before the surgery?

Doris K on 10/19/03 at 20:14 (134703)

It started in January of this year.