Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Footlaw.com

Posted by Jay Grife on 10/20/03 at 09:11 (134724)

I must frankly admit that I am more than surprised at the reactions from podiatrists regarding footlaw.com. We are a small group of podiatry/attorneys who will only accept those cases where we feel negligent care has been provided. We screen approximately 20 cases per week and generally accept 1 case per month. Not a bad ratio for those doctors whose care was less than successful but not negligent.

There are several interesting issues that my podiatry colleagues raise which I will address.

1) Do we lose cases? Of course we do but in the 9 years we have been in existence, the total is 2. The one that has been posted and displayed was lost because the client was seen on surveillance video doing aerobic exercises. When we at Footlaw.com found out, we asked the Judge to permit us to withdraw but he refused. We lost that case and frankly, I am glad we did.

2) Affiliations with heelspurs.com: Footlaw has never, repeat never advertised or in any manner attempted to permit our site to be a vehicle along with heelspurs.com for information. While some of our goals do dovetail, that is circumstance and not intentional. Honestly, I am overwhelmed that so many people post such interesting commentary about us here. We answer each and evry question we receive and try to provide useful and helpful information for patients with problems. Very often it is simply an issue of where do I go for care and treatment and not how can I sue my doctor. We do appreciate the support we receive but this is attributable to our abilities and not any other underlying reasons. See the NEXT issue.

3) Negative Opinions by podiatrists as to footlaw.com: What I do find extremely enlightening is the fact that several of the podiatrists who shout the loudest as to footlaw.com being 'ambulance chasing' attorneys are the very podiatrists that we have SUCCESSFULLY LITGATED AGAINST. I am interested to know why they do not disclose this to the public forum here. Even more interesting is that one of our loudest critics here, and a podiatrist we successfully litigated agianst, just referred us a medical malpractice case.

4) Cases posted on footlaw.com: The case we post are examples of those which we either win or lose. Frankly, we do not have sufficient space to list each of our successful case results but perhaps we should. Incidently, please note that we never name the Defendants who we litigate against and we do this so as to exhibit professionalism.

5) Footlaw.com Updates: We will be updating the website in the immediate future. Please do take the time to visit and hopefully, we can respond to your question without the necessity of litigation. To my podiatry colleagues, please feel free to use your own names. Opinions are always welcome, positive or negative, because through these sources, we at Footlaw.com continue to grow in a manner that assists the public....and also those doctors whose patients present cases which are not meritorious.

Re: To Brian Footlaw.com

Pauline on 10/20/03 at 19:46 (134759)

Brian,
I remember you contacting them about your EPF surgery. Do you know if they took any cases related to that old kit?

Re: Footlaw.com

Dr. Z on 10/20/03 at 21:29 (134779)

Jay,
My name is Dr. Zuckerman. If you would like a complete list of pre-cautions or warnings for ESWT I can fax them to you or you can go to the web site for the international society for Shockwave therapy. My e-mail is (email removed) if you would like a copy of the list that came with the dornier manuel.

Warnings

ESWT should be used with care in patients with cardiac pacemakers.
ESWT should be used with care in patients on immunosuppressive agents or cortisone therapy or patients on medications that prolong bleeding time (e.g., coumadin, or even low-dose aspirin).

ESWT can cause damage to major nerves or blood vessels if the ESWT treatment unit is placed directly over those structures

Re: To Brian Footlaw.com

Jay Grife on 10/21/03 at 06:55 (134798)

EPF has become one of the most abused surgical procedures that doctors of any type perform. When done without proper foundation, the results are often horrendous.

We have accepted numerous EPF cases and continue to review these.

Pauline on 10/21/03 at 09:54 (134801)

Dr. Z,
I would venture to say the footlaw guys probably already have your list of warnings along with much more information, but it is nice of you to make the offer. I remember reading on their web site that they were interested in hearing from patients who had ESWT problems.

Wouldn't be surprised if they could share some ESWT information back to you.

Pauline on 10/21/03 at 10:14 (134803)

Wow, this is good to know, because we have posters here always being offered this type of surgery as a fast and easy cure for their P.F.

I wish your post could be a permanent statement on the surgical board to give people who are considering this surgery a fair warning that this 'snip and go' surgery may not be the quick fix that they are so often being sold. No surgery is without risk even EPF.

So often we read the horror stories on heelspurs surgical board from posters telling us about the additional 'snowballing surgeries' that followed their original EPF surgery all in the name of curing their P.F.

Dr. Z on 10/21/03 at 10:50 (134805)

I just asked them this very question .

nancy s. on 10/21/03 at 12:40 (134807)

that's a great idea, pauline (and dr z). will ScottR consider this?

i was saved by a hair from having epf surgery done back in 1999 (the pod had tried a rotten pair of hard plastic orthotics and the night splint, not educated me in the least about other ways to treat pf, and had me scheduled for epf surgery).

after eight months of torture i was ready to try ANYthing. but i got nervous at the last minute and found this site and posted about the upcoming surgery. four posters responded immediately and advised me to hold off. am i happy about that? words can't describe it.

a bold 'caution' statement high up somewhere on this site might save others.

nancy

Pauline on 10/21/03 at 13:17 (134812)

Nancy,
I certainly agree with you and think we'd have many more people post in agreement. The statement is coming from Pods who are lawyers. I don't think we could get a more honest opinion. They certainly know and have seen both sides of this operation. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Their warning should stand for something.

Anyone with some influence might make this suggestion to Scott. It could possibly save many people from life long foot pain. That's got to be worth a lot to many P.F. patients.

Re: For Dr. Grife, hope you still reading here

BrianG on 10/22/03 at 08:27 (134963)

Hi Dr. Grife,

I am not convinced that the 'kits' used to perform the EPF surgery, are totally effective, especially the earlier 2 portal method. Just wondering if you've ever taken on any cases involving the 'kit', rather than the doctor?

Also, one more thing thats been on my mind. Since the kits that are now bieng sold are one portal, it leads me to believe the 1st generation kits are inferior. What would it take to pull these first, two portal, kits off the market? Is it something that the FDA would have to initiate?

Thanks in advance,
BrianG, not a doc

Jay Grife on 10/22/03 at 09:04 (134969)

No we have not. The kits do not make the doctor elect to perform unnecessary surgery. It is simply those doctors who look for what they consider the quick fix that are ruining the procedure. The procedure has indications but the abuse associated with it is simply astounding.

The differnce in the procedures just might be advances made through time which is a wonderful option and should not be looked at negatively. You never want medicine to remain stagnant.

JG

Pauline on 10/22/03 at 13:29 (135000)

Do you have any suggestions about this surgery that would keep patients out of trouble? What questions should they be asking and what might give them a tip that this is not the correct procedure for them.

Patients are in pain, a doctor offers them a quick fix how do they know whether to have it done or not given the abuse that you speak about?

I might add welcome to heelspurs. It's great to have your insight because you've seen both sides of this coin and I would imagine others as well too. I hope you can find time to continue to post when ever possible.

marie on 10/22/03 at 18:18 (135049)

Pauline,

Scott has a link to their site at the bottom of the one of the pages on the board. Can't remember which one but I have looked and read about them through a link Scott provided.

BrianG on 10/23/03 at 08:39 (135122)

JG, thanks for your perspective...BrianG