Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

POSTERIOR TIBIAL NERVE AND TENDON INFLAMMATION

Posted by cliff everett on 10/20/03 at 13:30 (134736)

DEAR DR'S,

MY PODIATRIST HAS DIAGNOSED ME WITH POSTERIOR TIBIAL NERVE AND TENDON INFLAMMATION, BEHIND THE MEDIAL MALLEOUS. I HAVE TRIED HEAT, ICE, NEW ORTHOTICS, 25MG OF VIOXX AND I RESTED IT FOR A WEEK WITH NO SUCCESS. MY PODIATRIST IS SUGGSSTING ULTRASOUND FOR 3 WEEKS 2X/WEEK. COULD YOU PLEASE INFORM ABOUT ANY OTHER SOULUTIONS TO THIS PROBLEM? HE TALKED ABOUT A CORTISONE INJECTION IN THE AREA. IS THIS RISKY IN PIERCING THE NERVE OR ARE THERE GOOD RESULTS WITH THIS. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.

Re: POSTERIOR TIBIAL NERVE AND TENDON INFLAMMATION

Dr. Z on 10/20/03 at 13:52 (134737)

Hi

The use of physical Therapy such as ultrasound, electrical stim are very good. Local steriod injections can be helpful. The fabrication of a foot and ankle orthosis is an excellenct treatmetn modality. Taping is very helpful.
The use of ionophoresis is also a very good physical therapy modality. I would order an mri to make sure that there is in fact a post tib tendonitis and no mass and or tumor on the tendon and or nerve

cliff everett on 10/20/03 at 15:56 (134745)

DR Z,

ANY RISKS ASSOCAITED WITH LOCAL STEROID INJECTIONS? MY DPM IS WORRIED ABOUT HITTING THE NERVE IN THIS AREA. PS ITS BEEN 2 MONTHS AND I ASKED FOR AN MRI , BUT HE DIDN'T THINK IT IS NECESSARY. IM IN PAIN!!!

Dr. Z on 10/20/03 at 21:17 (134777)

There is always a risk of hitting the nerve. Experience with giving injections in the Tarsal Tunnel area makes the risk very very small. IF there is concern then ionophoresis would be an excellent alternative then a local injection with steriods.